support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Good jazz reeds?

Lewis.S

Locality
Hertfordshire, England
Hi everyone,

A while ago I went down to woodwind and reed and bought A selmer super session mouthpiece for my jazz playing, gigs etc. and they kindly gave me a rico plastic cover reed which worked a treat- at first... After three months of use (I know I should have rotated it but hey :p) it's a bit tired , and I'm interested in swapping plasticover for a similar cane reed, anyone got any ideas or experience?

Hi there,
I have the Selmer Super Session (E) mouthpiece on my Alto Reference 54, and the reeds I like best with this set up (and the sound I'm looking for) are Rico Jazz Select, which give me the mellowness I'm looking for but can produce an edge if you want them to. At the moment I have moved from 2H to 3S, which is sweeter on the palm keys. Another reed that works well (and makes a terrific seal on the pop test) is the Rico Reserve Classic Alto.
Riversider

Rico Plasticover is a cane reed, just with a plastic coating on it - so not really a synthetic reed such as Fibracell or Bari or Legere.

I believe that Plasticover are the same cut as Rico Royal, a cane reed. I also like and play Rico Jazz Select which are similar-ish, but more expensive and have smaller increments for their grading (1/3 strengths instead of 1/2 strengths).

Rhys

The best reeds i ever had are Rico jazz select and now i use Rigotti gold reeds.These 2 are my all time choice.

Why not buy another Plasticover, or even a box of them so you can rotate them. Or just buy Rico Royals of the same strength if you want to try cane.

Jim.

I just received my Rico Jazz cut reeds in and I love them. Since I am a beginner I do not have the expert ear of many, but I loved the change in my sound. I sound much closer to the play along CD and how I wanted to sound when I dreamed of playing.

I ordered a strength number 2 since that is what I believe is closest to the royals 2.5 that I have been using, I don't know if it is the slight difference in strength or the quality of the reed, but I am noticing a lot of my mistakes more with this reed. It's great for me, because I know the mistakes are mine and I am learning how to correct them. I highly recommend them.

Note taken, i will seek those Rico Jazz Select too, for 2.0 strength as well for the same reasons as you did.

I like the RJS mentioned above but my real favourite Jazz reeds are Marca Jazz and Rigotti Gold, which are also slightly cheaper. The Rigotti are available at Howarth of London. Best place for the Marca Jazz are Reeds Direct. I used to play a SSS E on my Ref54 Alto, but eventually found it just too mellow for my taste.

Kind regards
Tom

I'm using Java Reds at the moment - really enjoying the sound they give me :thumb:

Hi everyone,

A while ago I went down to woodwind and reed and bought A selmer super session mouthpiece for my jazz playing, gigs etc. and they kindly gave me a rico plastic cover reed which worked a treat- at first... After three months of use (I know I should have rotated it but hey :p) it's a bit tired , and I'm interested in swapping plasticover for a similar cane reed, anyone got any ideas or experience?

What was their rationale for giving you the plasticover? I find it to be a curious match. Most people who use plasticovers play rock'n'roll and other forms of loud music.

I'm a bit old school when it comes to gear. I think you should learn how to make the sound yourself without resorting to special aids. And I do consider the plasticover a special aid. After you learn how to shape the sound yourself, then go ahead and get a plasticover if that's where you want to go soundwise. I know that not everyone agrees with this...

I think the advice to get Rico Royals is good. They won't be as bright, but they are a good reed for getting a brighter sound. You might also like the Vandoren V16's. Good Luck!

Super

And I do consider the plasticover a special aid.

Ok, I'm new to everything sax! so my ignorance is abundant

When looking at reeds to try and appreciate the differences etc., my understanding from the promo write ups that the plastic over was intended for those playing outdoor venues, and otherwise you'd choose a natural reed? Therefore agreeing with the statement that this was intended to be a special aid for a special scenario, and not for general purpose?

Like I said - I have saxual ignorance in abundance - with you guys helping I'm learning a heck of a lot faster though - which is code for "be nice to me when you reply" :)

my understanding from the promo write ups that the plastic over was intended for those playing outdoor venues

This was the original idea. Doublers might also benefit from them.
They actually have a different sound that some might like and are black, so really cool looking.
Nowadays synthetic reeds are good alternatives.
I tend to stick with RJS since every experiment with new reeds is an expensive guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm new to everything sax!

I think that is the key thing here. I don't want to get into a debate about who's advice is best, because there is certainly not only one right answer. But do be careful. If you are at a beginning stage, using these reeds might shape the sound for you and you might miss out on a development stage.

super

I am a fairly recent convert to Legere Signature reeds. My primary reason is that I really hate the feel of the can reed (sensitive lips :rolleyes:) I have a few each of RJS and Alexander NY both of which I really like the sound of but I keep going back to the synthetic reed as for me personally it gives me something which cane reeds don't. It's a mystery? I'm very tempted to try the Rigotti reeds (which are a new brand to me) given some of the comments on here. One of life's never ending quests......

I think that is the key thing here. I don't want to get into a debate about who's advice is best, because there is certainly not only one right answer. But do be careful. If you are at a beginning stage, using these reeds might shape the sound for you and you might miss out on a development stage.

super

I hear you loud and clear. My response, which I didn't qualify by verbalising, meant that it had given me an idea for the future, once sufficient progress has been made and I may be able to play alongside another person with the same instrument and yet have a significantly different sound to blend.

I was thinking future. My bad - I didn't share my head! (Probably for the best in the long term)

+1 more for RJS, little better but enough to buy them from now fanatically, than Rico Royal, and way more melodic than Fibracell, which in turn have more powerful volume than Legere but equally melodic, and all more stable than the plastic cover.
My newbie impressions that is, so be advised not to get carried away, thinking it's from an advanced even, student.
So in newbish slang, Rico Jazz Select>Rico Royal>Fibracel=>Legere>Rico Plastic Cane

+1 more for RJS, little better but enough to buy them from now fanatically, than Rico Royal, and way more melodic than Fibracell, which in turn have more powerful volume than Legere but equally melodic, and all more stable than the plastic cover.
My newbie impressions that is, so be advised not to get carried away, thinking it's from an advanced even, student.
So in newbish slang, Rico Jazz Select>Rico Royal>Fibracel=>Legere>Rico Plastic Cane

If you want an absolute winner get a Marca Jazz 2........................................:thumb:

Sorry guys I've been absent from the forum for ages! Thanks for all of your help! Still playing the plasticovers!:sax:

Back
Top Bottom