All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Microphones Good home recording setup?

PMason247

Hi.
I'm looking for microphone, and software recommendations for home recording.

I'm thinking band in a box fir software, but any thoughts on a microphone? Condenser type I would guess, something I could grab off ebay would be good. And something that would work well for soprano.

Clivey

Welcome. Hope you hang around. We get so many visits and questions like this that get loads of response only to be met with a world-shaking silence.

This site is a university of sax and music for that matter. There are probably no questions that have not been asked and answered but the first question will be met with. You need to tell us your setup, playing ability,tech ability, current DAW if you use one, Ok I see you need advice on that but also what are your goals are you proposing to produce music or is it for playing improvement. EG. It matters as you need to use the right tools. I use 3 software programs Band in a box, Reason and Cubase .I also use miriads of plug in effects and Synths for my music production.,
If you engage with the forum the regulars will be quick to help
Clivey.

David Roach

Subscriber

PMason247

Welcome. Hope you hang around. We get so many visits and questions like this that get loads of response only to be met with a world-shaking silence.

This site is a university of sax and music for that matter. There are probably no questions that have not been asked and answered but the first question will be met with. You need to tell us your setup, playing ability,tech ability, current DAW if you use one, Ok I see you need advice on that but also what are your goals are you proposing to produce music or is it for playing improvement. EG. It matters as you need to use the right tools. I use 3 software programs Band in a box, Reason and Cubase .I also use miriads of plug in effects and Synths for my music production.,
If you engage with the forum the regulars will be quick to help
Clivey.
Thanks for the reply. Playing ability is good, having played Tenor and Flute for 30years. Soprano is a recent addition.

In terms of studio recording, and have worked on a few albums with my band in the past. As for home recording, no experience.

But I'd like to get started. Initially with some jazz standards using backing tracks and putting my own brass onto that.

I have only a laptop, so not sure what I need. Interface for s microphone, and software. I like the look of band in a box because you get the tunes already, and its just a matter of tweaking it and recording yourself playing over the top.

Does that make sense??

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
You can either get a USB microphone, which will plug directly into the laptop USB port, or a microphone with an XLR plug, in which case you will need a digitiser box to connect it to the laptop. Focusrite Scarlett is a popular choice for the interface box.

You can spend a lot of money on a microphone, so a budget estimate would help people to give you advice.

It's worth getting a good microphone stand, so that you can position the microphone in the best place for recording. If you are recording soprano then don't point the instrument at the microphone - the mic should be above, and pointing towards the G tone hole.

Band In A Box will generate good backing tracks, but you really need DAW (Digital Audio Workstation?) software to record and edit your songs and add effects. Audacity is free and quite popular with Café members, though rather clunky to use. I would be inclined to go for Reaper if you have a PC. If you have a Macintosh then GarageBand is the obvious choice.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
It’s going to be worth looking at the similar threads at the bottom of the page, in fact I might merge this with one or two of those as that will cause some of the helpful members who posted there to get notified of this.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber

PMason247

It’s going to be worth looking at the similar threads at the bottom of the page, in fact I might merge this with one or two of those as that will cause some of the helpful members who posted there to get notified of this.
Sure, that would be useful. Thanks.
I'm new to this forum, so apologise if there are duplicates

PMason247

You can either get a USB microphone, which will plug directly into the laptop USB port, or a microphone with an XLR plug, in which case you will need a digitiser box to connect it to the laptop. Focusrite Scarlett is a popular choice for the interface box.

You can spend a lot of money on a microphone, so a budget estimate would help people to give you advice.

It's worth getting a good microphone stand, so that you can position the microphone in the best place for recording. If you are recording soprano then don't point the instrument at the microphone - the mic should be above, and pointing towards the G tone hole.

Band In A Box will generate good backing tracks, but you really need DAW (Digital Audio Workstation?) software to record and edit your songs and add effects. Audacity is free and quite popular with Café members, though rather clunky to use. I would be inclined to go for Reaper if you have a PC. If you have a Macintosh then GarageBand is the obvious choice.
In fact, thats perfect! Many thanks. I may start with Audacity as a cheap way to get going.

Colin the Bear

Audacity and a BM800 plugged into the mic socket of your laptop is all you need.

Then hours and hours learning how to make a good/acceptable recording.

Clivey

In fact, thats perfect! Many thanks. I may start with Audacity as a cheap way to get going.
I strongly recommend that you start with an industry standard DAW. Audacity is an audio editor but not really equiped for multi tracking psudo brass section stuff.
You can get a decent DAW for next to nothing and the benefits are things like automated non destructive mixing ,mastering and effects , true real-time multi track recording with monitoring, Mastering, integrated virtual Synths and sampling, score printing, integrated midi, multi program multi tasking or Rewire allows you to run 2 daws such as Reason and Cubase or reaper at the same time through virtual mastering mixer with full onboard effects etc etc etc, Waveform editing and manipulation and a whole load of other very useful things. It's the way to consider if you think about the time investment learning band in a box or audacity. You can use band in a box entirely as it comes with it's own specific DAW . It's not my fave for sure, but I think everyone here would agree that Band in A box is a very serious tool in the arsenal of anyone doing music or or backing tracks.
If you have a Mac then use garage band it's a great starter DAW that's what they teach in the schools too.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I've been using a Focusrite mic and interface for several years- can't fault it-

As far as DAWs go- downloads both Mixcraft and Reaper- there are free try outs on both. Decide which suits you better and you're good to go- just add mic stand and a quiet space to operate in

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
You might find this thread useful as well as the other threads below about mic’s and headsets

PMason247

You might find this thread useful as well as the other threads below about mic’s and headsets

Thanks!

PMason247

So I started this post a while back, So I thought I would update on my home recording setup.
I started with Audicity, but I found that a little clunky and the sound effects was not so good.
But I did come across Tracktion Waveform. They do a free version, and you can either upgrade to the Pro version, or you can even purches some key plugin effects (reveb, EQ, etc...). I really like this tool and has a tons of teacher videos.

Next I bought myself an AKG P120 dynamic mic. This is great! It was a close call from this one, the Audio Technica AT2020 or the AKG C1000S. In the end I opted for the P120.

It has a useful feature in a -20db switch whihc works wekk with lound instruments (like a saxophone!).

I will record a few track and post on hear at some point.

Oh - I forgot to add, I'm using a cheap Behringer UM2. For this you need to download the ASIO drivers.

scotsman

Yamaha PR7..Its all you need..Portable.Briliant sterio reproduction and when combined with Audition software makes my (expensive) recording studio redundant..BTW it cost me £123...Regards

Ne0Wolf7

Just a quick bit to add to this:
I strongly recommend that you start with an industry standard DAW. Audacity is an audio editor but not really equiped for multi tracking psudo brass section stuff.
You can get a decent DAW for next to nothing and the benefits are things like automated non destructive mixing ,mastering and effects , true real-time multi track recording with monitoring, Mastering, integrated virtual Synths and sampling, score printing, integrated midi, multi program multi tasking or Rewire allows you to run 2 daws such as Reason and Cubase or reaper at the same time through virtual mastering mixer with full onboard effects etc etc etc, Waveform editing and manipulation and a whole load of other very useful things. It's the way to consider if you think about the time investment learning band in a box or audacity. You can use band in a box entirely as it comes with it's own specific DAW . It's not my fave for sure, but I think everyone here would agree that Band in A box is a very serious tool in the arsenal of anyone doing music or or backing tracks.
If you have a Mac then use garage band it's a great starter DAW that's what they teach in the schools too.
Cakewalk by Bandlab is a fully-featured free DAW for windows. Steeper learning curve than Audacity, but much more powerful (and once you do learn it, it becomes easier imo).

Top Bottom