support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Good evening from East Texas, USA

ATG

Locality
East Texas area
I only just discovered this forum (better late than never)......some may know me as AG from SOTW, but here I am ATG. I am 63, have attempted to play the saxophone on & off since 1959, and I think I might be getting a little better at it. hopefully before I pass on I may actually be able to play it, lol.

bear with me while I try to get my bearings here & find my way around. I look forward to participating & if I do something wrong then please, somebody point it out to me. when I do try to play it's on a very nice early Selmer MKVII alto I bought as new/old stock back in 2000 when I started playing again after a 27 yr layoff.....having sold my old long bow VI alto back in the early 70's. for me, even after playing a VI for yrs, this VII alto is an excellent horn and in my particular case suits me as well or better as the VI did.

my hobby is finding old saxes (ones I really like) at a reasonable price & restoring them to playing condition. I know a fantastic sax tech locally who gives me a very good price on the work or I couldn't afford it. in any case thanks for opening the door & allowing me to come in. I hope I can contribute something worthwhile from time to time.

Welcome to the caff, ATG.

Any chance you also play fiddle, as the forum needs an expert on Texas Swing.

ENJOY!

Hey Hey from me ...

What ho mate ...

Have fun here ... We all do ... ;}

Hi ATG,
Welcome to the cafe, that's a nice horn you've got there. What sort of music do you like to play?
Rob.

Hi Alan. Welcome to the Cafe :)

Welcome to the caff, ATG.

Any chance you also play fiddle, as the forum needs an expert on Texas Swing.

ENJOY!

lol, I do play a little Texas swing, but not on the fiddle. I especially like Patsy Cline's "Walking After Midnight", but I'm no expert. you'll have to keep looking I fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ATG,
Welcome to the cafe, that's a nice horn you've got there. What sort of music do you like to play?
Rob.

compund, I like all kinds of music, but my favorites are older rock n roll from the 50's & 60's, old jazz standards, big band swing, and some light classical.

Howdy ( sorry I couldn't resist it!) ATG and welcome aboard.

50s rock'n'roll - way to go. Rudy Pompelli was my inspiration in those days, "Rudy's Rock" really got me going, I only had an alto in '55.

Anyway dive in and enjoy the fun!

John.

Hi ATG, welcome. You do of course have a lot to live up to, Texas being the birthplace of such sax worthies as Buddy Tate, Hershel Evans, Ornette Coleman and Cleanhead Vinson!
YC

HI ATG, a big welcome from me. I think you'll recognise a few faces as well.

Hi Alan, I managed to say hi to you in your other post. That's probably because I felt continental and was already in a heavy engagement with a bottle of red wine. Anyway, I say hi again here just for good measures.

Cheers :)

thanks, Rune.....that 2nd post was a train wreck thinking I had lost this 1st one somehow. I think it was just delayed somehow....

I certainly would have a lot to live up to for anyone to consider me with the aforementioned names.....I doubt that happens in this lifetime.

I started out on an old Holton Collegiate tenor relacquer back in '59 & played it up to '63 when I switched to alto in highschool with a new long bow VI (bought new for $535....that's what they sold for back then) the only reason I switched back in school was the altos got better parts, but I kept my old tenor for a while. it came in handy later on for parties & such; we had a little stage/dance band from school & afterwards most of us stayed togather in the a area & kept playing. eventually everyone goes their own direction though so I sold the tenor. I've had others since, a Yamaha 61 & a Buescher 400 (pre buyout...barely) with the Nortons & snap ins, but after I got out of playing & layed off for all those yrs I pretty much just play alto now. what little gigging I did was a long time ago when I was much younger & those days are past now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but you can dream, ATG.
Rob, King Curtis indeed and more - I was just giving examples that came readily to mind - not easy with my memory!
YC

Hi ATG,
Not wanting to seem thick, but what exactly is a ( long bow) m6? I know it's a sax but i've never heard that description before. Thank's Rob.

There is an obligation beeing a Texas saxhonker!! Beside the players already mentioned ther are honkers like ; Illinoise Jacquet, Grady Gaines, Jesse Powell, David Newman, Joe Houston, Wild Bill Moore, Joe Sublett, Bobby Keys …… .

Maybe tea in water in New England helps to raise all fine saxplayers up there, but what did they put in water in Texas?

ATG, welcome to CS!

well, I'll try to answer in order (compound 1st)......when Selmer first made the Mark VI they used what was called a short bow (the curved piece between the body tube & the bell) these you will find on most of the older 5 digit serial numbered VI's. the seams pretty much line up evenly or almost. personally, I like the short bow VI better than the longer one which they changed to later up in the early 60's or there abouts (I don't know the exact date). the longer bow didn't last that long, I don't think I was the only one who didn't like them because it wasn't long until they changed again to a medium bow which seem to work pretty good & they remained with the medium bow I believe for the rest of the VI's run.

thomsax.....as far as the water, whenever an old moonshiner was close to getting busted he dumped it all in the creek or river. over the years with so many getting busted or close to it quite a bit of that white lightning was poured into Texas creeks & rivers. alas! eventually it took it's toll. :)

Maybe tea in water in New England helps to raise all fine saxplayers up there, but what did they put in water in Texas?

Nothing, it's just very concentrated..... But the chilli, beans and beef are wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom