All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Good Afternoon!

Martin O

Hi all!

Thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm Martin, 48 years old and and I'm based in the Manchester area.

A little bit about me and my sax story so far! After watching a local school band playing Christmas carols in December 2011, I decided as a New Year resolution to get a musical instrument and try and pass a graded exam. I went for a sax as I've always loved the sound, and bought a couple of tutor books with backing CD's. Seemed to do ok for the first couple of weeks, but I thought it would be better to have a lesson as I would no doubt be learning bad habits, and I wanted to find out about the exams. At the first lesson, my teacher suggested I should go for Grade 3, which I did, and to my surprise, managed to pass with a Merit in November.

What I'd really like to do next is to practice with others of a similar standard, or join some sort of starter ensemble, if such a thing exists around Manchester. If anyone knows of anything, I'd love to hear from you. I've been practicing on big band numbers as a mate of mine runs one and has tons of sheet music parts I can plunder, which is great, but I find motivation to practice on my own is quite hard to come by now the exam's over with.

Really enjoying reading all the stories and advice on here, just wish I'd found the site a lot earlier.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Martin, big welcome from me, an ex-Mancunian. You'll find a few other Mancunians here, and some close neighbours.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi Martin

Wot Trimmy said.

I'm a bit further south in north Shropshire, but I'm going on Tuesday.

Have a look around this web site for groups that might be in your area - I found my Saturday orchestra in Chester through this.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi Martin

Welcome to the cafe:)

You might want to look at this too (link deleted as website removed). A friendly group and you will be made welcome.
The main orchestra details are here TLO Home

Which sax do you play?

Jx

Last edited:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Martin.

You are lucky, attend any of the MaSLM events.

ENJOY!​™

BigMartin

Hi from another Martin in Manchester (I hope you're not bigger than me, as that could cause some confusion).

If you're interested in jazz there's a class I go to on Thursday evenings at Union Chapel, Fallowfield. Mostly trad with a bit of swing. We're all a bit rubbish really (apart from Rebecca who takes the class and plays trumpet) but it's a nice supportive environment. No web site, I'm afraid, 'cause I haven't got round to making one yet. It's £5 a session and starts at 7pm.

(Big)Martin

Martin O

I ended up passing my Grade 5 and joining a local orchestra, best thing I did. We've started a sax group on the back of that too, just wish I'd done it years ago. Is the Fallowfield group still going BigMartin?

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
@Martin O Glad you found a group. I know there' the 'Saturday Morning Orchestra' I think it's called in Altrincham area.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom