Tutorials

Good afternoon

alrightson

Hello everyone,
I am a total beginner to Saxophones, but have always loved the sound of them, ever since I first heard Baker Street, and more so when I heard Songbird.

I currently have got a student entry Sanata Alto. Which I have only used the mouthpiece at the moment. Being 46 and just recently lost my wife I thought it was time this old dog learnt a new trick.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the café and I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Never to old to learn sax, have fun here :)

Jx

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi welcome, you're much younger than many on here when they started, me included.

Last edited:

CliveMA

Welcome. I'm sorry about your loss. Sax is a lot of fun and can easily use up as much or as little time as you'd like. I'm retired and basically spend all day doing music-related activities. For me, it is a pleasant change from my former computing career.

OP
A

alrightson

Welcome. I'm sorry about your loss. Sax is a lot of fun and can easily use up as much or as little time as you'd like. I'm retired and basically spend all day doing music-related activities. For me, it is a pleasant change from my former computing career.
Thank you, I am hoping that I can learn the sax, as my son youngest son is a song writer and plays piano, so hoping to be able to play my sax alongside him at home

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
One thing that I would strongly recommend even to an absolute beginner is to join a community band / orchestra straight away. These groups will take on beginners and such a group is a great help not only with your development as a musician but they can be good social outlets. When I started on cello at etc age of 51 I joined a community orchestra, which had everyone from youngsters through to several in their 80s on every instrument imaginable.

If you're London based (which I realise can mean a large area) then there are certainly quite a few choices available, but I would think either an orchestra or a wind band would be a good starting point.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Welcome to the Café. If you are using the mouthpiece that came with the sax, then it might be worth upgrading it, since these tend to be rather poor. A Bari Esprit, or a Yamaha 4c would be good choices for a low cost mouthpiece.

Last edited:
OP
A

alrightson

One thing that I would strongly recommend even to an absolute beginner is to join a community band / orchestra straight away. These groups will take on beginners and such a group is a great help not only with your development as a musician but they can be good social outlets. When I started on cello at etc age of 51 I joined a community orchestra, which had everyone from youngsters through to several in their 80s on every instrument imaginable.

If you're London based (which I realise can mean a large area) then there are certainly quite a few choices available, but I would think either an orchestra or a wind band would be a good starting point.
Thank you mate

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Welcome @alrightson . I wish to send my prayers and condolences regarding the loss of your wife. When mine passed (also at a young age), I could not touch music for an entire decade afterward.
So, the best to you.

One thing that I would strongly recommend even to an absolute beginner is to join a community band / orchestra straight away. These groups will take on beginners and such a group is a great help not only with your development as a musician but they can be good social outlets.
I would asterisk this, myself. The 'straight-away' bit.

Before you get to that, first:

1) find a teacher for one-on-one lessons (this may be challenging now but there are online Skype-type lessons available)

2) progress with the lessons for a while before considering joining a community band. I would imagine your teacher would be able to give you a green light on that.

From what you have stated, I assume you never played music before so cannot, for example, read music well, etc. Besides reading, a teacher will help you develop the proper fundamentals such as breath support, posture, embouchure, proper fingering, etc. THESE are the things which oftentimes, 'self-taught' sax players are lacking. And once bad habits form, reversing them can be a chore.

Oh, here's one more: (oops, edit: Nigeld beat me to it - brilliant minds think alike, clearly :rolleyes: )

3) What kind of mouthpiece is it ? If it is unbranded, I suggest you invest in a new, reputable beginner mouthpiece such as a Bari Esprit, Yamaha 4 or 5c, Brilhart Ebolin, or perhaps a Fobes Debut. (Avoid the Ricos). All very cheap, readily available online for quick delivery, etc...

Best of luck !

Last edited:
OP
A

alrightson

Welcome to the Café. If you are using the mouthpiece that came with the sax, then it might be worth upgrading it, since these and to be rather poor. A Bari Esprit, or a Yamaha 4c would be good choices for a low cost mouthpiece.
Yes I am using the mouthpiece and reed that came with the sax. It came as a kit for a beginner. Will have a look at them now mate, Thank you

OP
A

alrightson

Welcome @alrightson . I wish to send my prayers and condolences regarding the loss of your wife. When mine passed (also at a young age), I could not touch music for an entire decade afterward.
So, the best to you.

I would asterisk this, myself. The 'straight-away' bit.

Before you get to that, first:

1) find a teacher for one-on-one lessons (this may be challenging now but there are online Skype-type lessons available)

2) progress with the lessons for a while before considering joining a community band. I would imagine your teacher would be able to give you a green light on that.

From what you have stated, I assume you never played music before so cannot, for example, read music well, etc. Besides reading, a teacher will help you develop the proper fundamentals such as breath support, posture, embouchure, proper fingering, etc. THESE are the things which oftentimes, 'self-taught' sax players are lacking. And once bad habits form, reversing them can be a chore.

Oh, here's one more: (oops, edit: Nigeld beat me to it - brilliant minds think alike, clearly :rolleyes: )

3) What kind of mouthpiece is it ? If it is unbranded, I suggest you invest in a new, reputable beginner mouthpiece such as a Bari Esprit, Yamaha 4 or 5c, Brilhart Ebolin, or perhaps a Fobes Debut. (Avoid the Ricos). All very cheap, readily available online for quick delivery, etc...

Best of luck !
That's right, played Violin in school many moons ago, so no I don't know how to read music. I just ordered a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece kit, comes with ligature and reed etc

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
That's right, played Violin in school many moons ago, so no I don't know how to read music. I just ordered a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece kit, comes with ligature and reed etc
That's GOOD that you once could read, even if many moons ago. That will help you along considerably; some of it is still buried withn your grey matter

OP
A

alrightson

That's GOOD that you once could read, even if many moons ago. That will help you along considerably; some of it is still buried withn your grey matter
It will be very grey hahaha. I can't wait for the new mouthpiece to come. Als will have to look into some sound proofing which will be hard as the room I'm using a big weakness area (windows and french door). Thank you for all your help mate

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom