support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Gold Plated Dukoff D6

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
I play a Dukoff on my 12M Conn Bari. it always looks grungy. I recently polished it carefully avoiding the tip, rails and table and it now looks respectable.
Question? There are companies offering to gold plate small items iphones etc would it be possible to do the same with the silverite metal of the mouthpiece avoiding the tip, rails table and bore in order to maintain an appearance?

I've got a Dukoff D tenor piece that has been gold plated before I bought it second hand. I don't know how it was done - it looks OK but quite thin. so I don't know how well the plating would last. I guess that there was no layer underneath the gold, it seems to be straight onto the silverite material, so it must be possible.

How is the Dukoff on your 12M ? I have really struggled to find a mouthpiece that tunes well on mine, but have finally cracked it with a Brendan Tibbs piece. Lovely horn with a great sound.

Rhys

Hi Rhys
Thanks for that will probaly give plating a try. 12M mouthpieces I have tried ebonite Yanagisawa good across the range but too round full (classical?). Rousseau JDX nice loud good bottom end intonation exc probably the best all rounder. Dukoff my favourite gives me the edgy sound I like and very loud. Berg Larsen 105/2, disaster, couldn't get it to play in tune without it dropping off the neck too sharp.
Regards

Hi Rhys
Thanks for that will probaly give plating a try. 12M mouthpieces I have tried ebonite Yanagisawa good across the range but too round full (classical?). Rousseau JDX nice loud good bottom end intonation exc probably the best all rounder. Dukoff my favourite gives me the edgy sound I like and very loud. Berg Larsen 105/2, disaster, couldn't get it to play in tune without it dropping off the neck too sharp.
Regards

My favourite bari player is Ronnie Ross who I think played a 12M with an ebonite Berg Lasrsen. I came close to buying his old mouthpiece last year, but was just too late. Maybe Ronnie had an extension on the neck or mouthpiece shank - he certainly had a lovely sound for jazz and for pop (Matt Bianco, and 'Walk on the Wild Side' by Lou Reed).

Rhys

I'll have to try my metal and ebonite Bergs when my 12M comes back from Steve Crow who is modifying some keywork at the moment.

Actually the best sound on the Conn bari was with a Brilhart Level Air which has a really extreme baffle and chamber, but gives a nice, warm and modern sound. Tuning was OK but not great.

Rhys

My favourite bari player is Ronnie Ross who I think played a 12M with an ebonite Berg Lasrsen. I came close to buying his old mouthpiece last year, but was just too late. Maybe Ronnie had an extension on the neck or mouthpiece shank - he certainly had a lovely sound for jazz and for pop (Matt Bianco, and 'Walk on the Wild Side' by Lou Reed).

Rhys

I've played this horn -- the neck's original, pitch is OK with a regular Berg. Scale's a bit short at the top but manageable IIRC.

I play a Dukoff on my 12M Conn Bari. it always looks grungy. I recently polished it carefully avoiding the tip, rails and table and it now looks respectable.
Question? There are companies offering to gold plate small items iphones etc would it be possible to do the same with the silverite metal of the mouthpiece avoiding the tip, rails table and bore in order to maintain an appearance?

"Silverite" is pewter, something like 97% tin. I think you can plate it, not sure how well it will turn out. I would just plate the whole thing rather than brush plating the outside (or just keep polishing every now and then). You can polish table and rails if your polishing compound isn't too aggressive, and these are the parts that want protecting anyway.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom