All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Going to New York

Rock Lobster

Going to New York soon. Any suggestions regarding places to see that a saxophone fan might find fun? Already going to the Blue Note and B B King's.

Cheers,

navarro

Going to New York soon. Any suggestions regarding places to see that a saxophone fan might find fun? Already going to the Blue Note and B B King's.

Cheers,
Hi Rock take a stroll down 52nd street. It`s where the legends used to play. Unfortunately it is no longer a jazz haven. Its all banks shops, etc. But there is one survivor the 21 Club 21 West 52nd Street New York, NY 10019.

A more modern club is Smalls (Already mentioned by Chris but a must.) It has opened and closed many times but a friend tells me it has music on nearly every night. 183 West 10th street Greenwich Village.

The 21 is now more of a diners club and expensive. I was there in 1958 when it was still fairly cheap. (My Father who was an American citizen knew all these haunts and was a regular visitor to Birdland it was just off 52nd Street. He (My Father) was there when Basie recorded Lullaby of Birdland on site.) I don`t know where Birdland is now. But of course immortalised by the boy from Battersea Sir George Shearing R.I.P. It was also the venue for Coltrane`s Septet.

In my opinion New York`s 52nd street is a must.

Have a great time Regds Another blast from the past. N.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filton

if you fancy a bar with an eclectic range of music check out The Red Lion on the corner of Thomson and Bleeker in Greenwich Village. Usualky live music from around 6pm on to the early hours.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

navarro

if you fancy a bar with an eclectic range of music check out The Red Lion on the corner of Thomson and Bleeker in Greenwich Village. Usualky live music from around 6pm on to the early hours.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Hi Filton, know it well great bar used to be the meeting place for expat rugby fans.

old git

Tremendous Bore
You could prepare yourself by playing 24/7 Simon and Garfunkel's "Only Living Boy in New York.">:)

ENJOY!​™

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Oh you lucky person. I've only been twice but loved it both times and we went in the winter too. I really enjoyed BB King's - we saw Shemikia Copeland there who was brilliant also The Fabulous Thunderbirds. We also went to The Village Vanguard and enjoyed that too, and we really only went for the nostalgia. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go. :)

Top Bottom