Reeds Going backwards in strength

Discussion in 'Saxophones & Accessories' started by ptg, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ptg

ptg Member

Positive Ratings:
    +15
    After 2 years of playing, I thought my main problem was not hitting high notes and certainly not altissimo.

All of a sudden I started squealing (almost always a very high D) whenever I reach for a high note. This has never happened before!

I am using a Meyer 6 and La Voz mediums. I tried higher strength reeds (Vandoren 3 and even 3-1/2) to no avail.

Out of desperation I pulled out a Rico Royal 2 and...no more squealing. Of course now the F and F# are even harder to play so I can't win.

I did a search and followed the recommendations by @jbtsax to check the instrument. (using just the tone producer and checking for pitch, etc.) and the sax seems fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - backwards strength Forum Date
    Reeds Trying various reed strengths on mouthpieces Saxophones & Accessories Jan 15, 2017
    Reeds Moving Up In Reed Strength Saxophones & Accessories Oct 23, 2014
    Reeds reed strength Saxophones & Accessories Sep 12, 2014

3. jbtsax

jbtsax old and opinionated

Positive Ratings:
    +6,535
    You might try playing an F scale slowly starting on F2 and going to F3 and finding where the tone production breaks down. A chromatic scale in the same octave would be even better. My guess would be that you are subconsciously "biting" as you "reach for" a high note. You may need to firm the embouchure slightly to play the palm key notes, but most of the work should be done using a faster airstream

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ptg

ptg Member

Positive Ratings:
    +15
    As always, thanks! I will try that tonight and see how it goes as the week progresses. What a tricky instrument this is!

5. Ivan

Ivan Undecided

Positive Ratings:
    +2,070
    After a long, long time of playing and thinking about embouchure I no longer bite high notes, but I firm up just as @jbtsax says. That makes for a fuller sound too

As for altissimo, if anything, I seem to relax, or at least there's no extra firming up.... it seems to be more about mouth and tongue position coaxing the note...

And the much repeated idea of thinking the note seems more or less essential

6. Jeanette

Jeanette Organizress Cafe Moderator

Positive Ratings:
    +6,880
    I've gone up a half strength on my reeds which has improved something in the tone but I now find I am biting more, to the point I can't play for long....Not sure what is happening

Jx

7. spike

spike Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings:
    +846
    Don't bite !!! - You'll simply need more air pressure and a faster air stream for a harder reed.
    I changed to Rico Select Jazz a few months ago, they increase by increments of 33% instead of half strengths.
    I'll quite often go up a step on gigs to compensate for the band volume and the adrenalin.
    Sax playing isn't weight lifting - you don't win prizes for playing hard reeds.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ivan

Ivan Undecided

Positive Ratings:
    +2,070
    That's wot I do too

9. jbtsax

jbtsax old and opinionated

Positive Ratings:
    +6,535
    There are sets of muscles that form the embouchure. A stiffer reed makes them work harder, hence the fatigue. With practice the muscle tone/strength improves and the harder reed becomes less taxing. To prevent "biting" emphasize pushing in at the corners more and opening the teeth as you play. This is something we all deal with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative & Useful Informative & Useful x 1
  10. kevgermany

kevgermany ex Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

Positive Ratings:
    +5,753
    Yes, get those teeth off the beak >:)

11. ptg

ptg Member

Positive Ratings:
    +15
    Everyone says not to bite but I see a lot of players use those little mouthpiece protectors because they bite!!! ???

12. Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler Senior Member

Positive Ratings:
    +404
    Protecters protect the mouthpiece. They are comfortable to use. Mine show no evidence of biting. Firm corners!

13. Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings:
    +7,139
    @ptg Biting is with the lower jaw. Many players plant their top teeth firmly on the mouthpiece, hence the patch. This is not biting. I almost rest my head on the mouthpiece, from time to time.

Biting is using the lower jaw to support the embouchure. Very different

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ptg

ptg Member

Positive Ratings:
    +15
    I never knew that! I can't ever imagine exposing my lower teeth to the mouthpiece though...

• Like Like x 1
  15. kevgermany

kevgermany ex Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

Positive Ratings:
    +5,753
    Biting is when you have your bottom lip curled over your teeth and instead of the lip muscles providing the grip, you use your teeth and they dig/cut into your lips.

In the common embouchure, top teeth rest on the mouthpiece. And most mouthpieces that I've seen either have indentations from them, or a patch protecting the mouthpiece. Some teachers encourage wearing a groove in the beak that matches the front teeth, this means the mouthpiece is always in the same place as your teeth locate into it. This place may or may not be correct.

16. ptg

ptg Member

Positive Ratings:
    +15
    Very interesting, indeed. Maybe I'm not biting enough! :confused: :)

17. spike

spike Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings:
    +846
    As above - Don't bite !!! use the muscles in your lower lip and learn to control them.
    Sorry - but It takes time, I've been blowing down the long and curly tube for over 50 years and I'm still learning.
    Patience you must have young Padowan.
    Play with the setup that you have and are most comfortable with and master it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jeanette

Jeanette Organizress Cafe Moderator

Positive Ratings:
    +6,880
    It's getting the better of me.....

Jx

19. nigeld

nigeld slow learner

Positive Ratings:
    +1,252
    Respectfully disagree.