SYOS

Gob full of ulcers

jonf

Ulcers

Playing the sax alone won't cause mouth ulcers. Everyone gets them occasionally, but if you have a real problem with them you should see a doctor and/or dental hygienist. It could be that they are exacerbated by stress, poor oral hygiene or they could be a symptom of some other underlying cause.

A good treatment is Corsodyl mouthwash, which contains chlorhexadine, which is an anti-bacterial. Far more effective than ordinary alcohol based mouthwashes. The only problem is it has an adverse effect on most users' sense of taste.

OP
davhudson

davhudson

are the edges of the reed sharp? are you rolling your lip out?
i have to round the edges of my Legeres for that not to happen.
I am not 100% sure it is ulcers now.
No sharp edges.
I have an excercise that I have been given starting on high F

F E F Eb F D F C# F C F B F Bb F A F

I think I have overdone this one and been bighting to get the high notes.:(

I am not 100% sure it is ulcers now.
No sharp edges.
I have an excercise that I have been given starting on high F

F E F Eb F D F C# F C F B F Bb F A F

I think I have overdone this one and been bighting to get the high notes.:(
sounds painfull... I used to bite loads, to the point of bleeding, and I have a mate who was biting through his lip, and ended up with a huge gouge, a line where his teeth were the went well over halfway through his bottom lip, and was white round the outside like a mouth ulcer can look. when he peeled back his lip it was a good inch long and few mm deep. nice!

This is a very extreme case, but might be a little bit of that. He caught it in time and corrected his embechoure, but if left unattended it may have ended up like the bari player who mid solo bit all the way through his lip and out the other side!! (ultimate respect though - he of course finished the solo)

sure its not as extreme as that, but might be worth talking to a teacher about how to play with a slightly more relaxed embechoure - nothing worse than really wanting to play and it being too sore to.

Oli

snowball

Try Adcortyl - you can get it from a pharmacy. It's in a paste that you put on the ulcer - it helps the ulcer heal faster. it's brilliant stuff that not many people know about.

Top Bottom