support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Glotin reeds

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
I got my hands on another Yamaha 62 alto today and was surprised to find boxes of Glotin reeds in it!

Anybody ever heard of them?

Apparently they no longer make saxophone reeds, but specialized in double reed instrument supplies. They do grow their own cane and manufacture not far from where I live.

I've asked them when they stopped manufacturing saxophone reeds and why?

I haven't had time to try them yet. Not even play tested the horn seriously yet. But it was a great deal!

Another horn that was long forgotten in it's case after only a few years of playing and miserably waiting in a dark Parisian basement. :eek:

£15 a box isn't bad. 5 boxes for £25 is insanely cheap.

I was just thinking the same thing.

As I understand it, they're French-made reeds, grown in the far South of France (near the Mediterranean) and then cut to size and finished somewhere near Paris. I've never tried Glotin reeds, but that kind of background doesn't sound off-putting to me. I tried to think of anything bad (saxophonically speaking) which came from Paris, and am struggling to think of examples. When I think of saxophonic stuff from Paris, names like Selmer, Beaugnier and Dolnet etc spring to mind - and they're all good.

I don't know why Glotin have stopped making saxophone reeds because for every oboe player there's dozens of sax-maniacs out there.

Last edited:

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom