support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Gilad Atzmon

Morgan Fry

Locality
Leeds
I just met Gilad a few weeks ago and saw him playing for the first time at Wakefield Jazz Club last week -- he's doing this really interesting thing with a string quartet and some of the Bird with Strings arrangements. This was seriously one of the best, most musical sets I have heard in ages. Not just a reproduction of the arrangements, he does some interesting things with them including some free and often middle-eastern sounding playing with it. You MUST see this if he's playing in your area, it'll be the most interesting jazz gig you see this year.

Disclaimer/thinly veilled brag -- Gilad is playing on my mouthpieces now. I don't want you to think I'm just plugging my guy (or myself, FTM), I really am a huge fan.

Anybody else heard/seen Gilad Atzmon lately?

I just met Gilad a few weeks ago and saw him playing for the first time at Wakefield Jazz Club last week -- he's doing this really interesting thing with a string quartet and some of the Bird with Strings arrangements. This was seriously one of the best, most musical sets I have heard in ages. Not just a reproduction of the arrangements, he does some interesting things with them including some free and often middle-eastern sounding playing with it. You MUST see this if he's playing in your area, it'll be the most interesting jazz gig you see this year.

Disclaimer/thinly veilled brag -- Gilad is playing on my mouthpieces now. I don't want you to think I'm just plugging my guy (or myself, FTM), I really am a huge fan.

Anybody else heard/seen Gilad Atzmon lately?
He's in our London Store regularly- monster player and really interesting guy too

Fascinating bloke - I got into him via his occassional outings with The Blockheads, and follow his website from time to time.

I saw him at the Stables in Milton Keynes with his string quartet. He was excellent and I would not hesitate to see him again.

Picture

Here's a picture I took when he was appearing at GoogliesJazz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/semiquaver/2516614092/

Last edited by a moderator:
Living proof that a Ref54 Alto is awesome! Seen him 3 times in Swansea from his Artie Fishel & The Promised Band days, and have most of his CDs - man of great integrity and superb player!
Just couldn't succeed on trombone......

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Thanks for posting this Morgan, I hadn't heard of him before, but Googled him and looks like a really interesting character, his sound reminds me of Jan Garbarek.

Much Appreciated:welldone

Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Semiquaver; nice photos.
Great one of John Jarvis.

Might run into you there as I often go when they have a soxophonist on.
Pete Long was my last visit.

What can I say....what an amazing saxophonist - very amusing guy too and excellent gig, interesting arrangements and the strings were awesome :welldone

Hello Semiquaver; nice photos.
Great one of John Jarvis.

Might run into you there as I often go when they have a soxophonist on.
Pete Long was my last visit.

Hi Alan, Thanks. Should be there for and Patti Revell and Digby Fairweather. Will miss Simon Allen but I can recommend him if you have not seen him before, he plays the whole lot (SATB) very well.

I saw that set a while ago in Southampton. He's a very approachable guy. The sax playing was amazing but it was the strings that really blew me away. Never have I heard a live string quartet that was so perfectly in tune and the sound guy was on top form. The first number sounded like a perfectly honed recording. Do check it out if you get a chance!

my mate has just done a gig with this guy and was telling me about it, he was playing a couple of old Conns, just listened to some of his political statements on youtube also, very interesting and found them much in agreement with my own understanding

Gilad's is an amazing player and his compositions are great too...his 'Metropolis' album is outstanding.

And as a slight aside, Morgan's alto ebonite mouthpiece is phenomenal. I've been playing on one for a year or so now and it does everything: soft and warm, no problem; funky and raucous, easy.

I'm saving my pennies for one of his metal tenor pieces.

I found out about Gilad on Morgan Frye's site s few years back and got one of his CD's, Unfortunately he hasn't been close to where I love on this side of the water,

a few years back I got an Morgan Frye as a part trade a few years back. Nice mpce but too small a tip for me.

Gilad's is an amazing player and his compositions are great too...his 'Metropolis' album is outstanding.

And as a slight aside, Morgan's alto ebonite mouthpiece is phenomenal. I've been playing on one for a year or so now and it does everything: soft and warm, no problem; funky and raucous, easy.

I'm saving my pennies for one of his metal tenor pieces.

I can highly recommend the Jazz + Rhodium. I have been playing an 8 for nearly 2 years now om my BW M2 tenor and it just sings with amazing articulation.

I can highly recommend the Jazz + Rhodium. I have been playing an 8 for nearly 2 years now om my BW M2 tenor and it just sings with amazing articulation.

That's the one I'm after.

Most of my Jazz heroes died before I was born or never came to the UK in their later years so I had to be content listening to them on vinyl etc. I had older friends who had lived in London in the 50s and 60s who had seen all the greats and I was jealous but seeing Gilad play in St Ives a few years back I felt for the first time that I was seeing someone really great and I would be able to say in later years "I was there"
Paul

I spent the afternoon and evening with Mr Atzmon today and ... Holy Coltrane, the man can play! He's still using the Conns but he's gone over to Vandoren V16 mouthpieces (A5 for those who want to know).

QN4A3549.jpg

Back
Top Bottom