support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Gilad Atzmon & Orient House Ensemble 10th Anniversary Tour............!!!

TomMapfumo

If anyone wants to see a top Alto Sax Player performing at a venue near you please keep a look out. Gilad is a top man (Israeli - very PC) and his Orient House Ensemble are top notch. I will be getting his new CD on 4th October and seeing him in Skabertawe on 17th November.

Incidentally he plays a Selmer Ref54 Alto/Morgan Fry NYZ/Marca Jazz reeds and produces a lovely sound. ( www.gilad.co.uk )

Come the Alto Revolution!:w00t:;}
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Love Gilad, but prefer his alter-ego that plays with The Blockheads - who are touring pretty much continuously -

I find it fascinating that he embraces such different styles - the extreme, and to me, sadly incomprehensible free jazz/hard bebop stuff, and the more commercial, accessible funk that he knocks out so effortlessly with The Blockheads and others. I'm not so sure he counts as very "PC" either - he's got some very forthright views, particularly about Middle Eastern politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well "spotted" - I've been doing too much practice today, having received my new Rico Graftonite B5 Alto mouthpiece as well as my new trumpet Soulo Mute. Just a pint of St. Peter's brewery Ruby Red Ale otherwise.

Kind regards

No problem! Gilad Atzmon is one of the most accomplished players on alto sax that you will ever see - and a genuinely nice/funny guy - I've met him a couple of times in Swansea and he is also at the Jazz Club there in November. His CD "In Loving Memory of America" is one of his more accessible, and is a tribute to Charlie Parker. The Blockheads is a different experience to his Orient House Ensemble but both are worth a look.

Kind regards

On the subject of the mighty Blockheads- have any of you guys got a copy of "warts & audience- blockheads live"... I'd been tempted by it but was wondering how much of the splendid Davey Payne do you get for yer money?

On the subject of the mighty Blockheads- have any of you guys got a copy of "warts & audience- blockheads live"... I'd been tempted by it but was wondering how much of the splendid Davey Payne do you get for yer money?

Yes, and it's one of my favourite albums ever, especially so because I was at the live gig. Plenty of Davey Payne, no worries.

Tomaso Starace Quartet are also playing at St Ives in October. Very good alto player

I really should start going down to St Ives on a regular basis. They have some good players on down there

mamos

The new CD "The Tide Has Changed" has just come through the letter box - decent sound, and some good tunes, but will be a while before I can take it all in. It received a 4* review in Friday's Guardian........!:w00t:;}

Kind regards

Back
Top Bottom