Supporting   special needs music

Gigging nightly, weekly, monthly

Have you ever played nightly, weekly ot longer anywhere?

• Never played more than one night in a row anywhere

• Once or twice, played a week or two

• Had one job playing for several weeks in the same place

• Had many gigs that lasted for several weeks in the same place

• All I do is long term gigs, done it for years, it's why I'm weird

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yes, it's another poorly-worded, probably unread before commenting poll about where you've played.
I am curious how many café members have played in the same place nightly for any length of time, and how many times they've done this.

For example,

A trio in a piano bar type place four nights a week, three hours each night for a few weeks
Band that plays on stage near a dance floor, five or six night a week for a month or more.
A "bar band", played five or six night a week for more than three months

Last edited by a moderator:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
("Gigging" would probably have been a better word than 'playing')

I have had a few long-term 'regular' gigs over the years...in SF back 20 years ago (ouch)....we played a neat little cafe-nightspot downtown once a month for around an 18-month stretch...so that'd be "Monthly".

I subbed for the regular bass player and played a 'regular' gig with 2 great Jazz players - Mark Little and Jamie Davis - at the Sheraton Palace there as well...they held that gig for 2 years and in that time I subbed on maybe 8-9 nights. The subbing was fairly often, so that'd also loosely fit "Monthly".

Here in Southern NM/West TX we have 3 venues which book us 'regularly' (as in 1-3 times/month) but the nights may vary (IOW it isn't quite "every first Saturday of the month, join us for...!")...but I would call those regular gigs as we are always on their schedule in any given month. So this would probably fit "every other week" or "bi-monthly".

I have never played in any group which performed at a SINGLE venue multiple times in a week (yet), however. That would be interesting....

Last edited:

After playing various places back in the day when concerts with local bands were common, I joined a band that had a "club gig". They were common: 5 or 6 nights a week, mostly 3 sets, sometimes 4 in California. Those gigs were 9 PM-midnight or 9PM to 1AM. There were enough where we'd meet other bands at 1-1:30AM at a restaurant and hang out. I think my first club gig was at the "Vincent Van Go Go" for several months. Another place the same band played with one personel change was called The Red Baron. These were salaried gigs (no benefits) paid by weekly check. I moved to California and got in a band that played for months in a club in Orange County. Then another club in the same town.The owner made out a check each week to a fictional character, cashed it and paid us. I moved cities and joined a different band, and they had a weekly 6-nighter, too. The owner was murdered in the club one day. Then I joined another band, and we gigged at different places. I never got one of those gigs again. The thing is, they keep you in shape! People expect to dance and you have play the stuff they heard on the radio. Fortunately, from when I started to the end of those long term gigs, the radio was playing Beatle, Stones, Hendrix, Zombies, Zeppelin, Joe Cocker and lots of great R&B that to cut your teeth on, like My Girl, Heat Wave, Midnight Hour, 99 1/2... We didn't have any sax or trumpet in the band, but those guys would usually be trained in Las Vegas. Coming from that school, people like Bob Rockwell could read a chart for alto and play it on tenor or sight read a trumpet part or part written in concert on the fly. Impeccable time and versaitility.

The day we were told that if we wanted to play in a place, we had to produce the event, take tickets, distribute the posters rent the PA and split the door, that was the first day of the beginning of the end!

You'd think playing in the same venue night after night would get boring, but it didn't. The regulars knew the band members and liked them. There were also the bartenders and wait staff, it was like a family, including your racist uncle and the aunt who was a drunk. Still, it was a wonderful time.

Last edited by a moderator:

turf3

Locality
Earth
I too have played in several bands that had long term gigs, but it was always "every Thursday night" or "first Friday every month"; never 3 or 4 nights a week at the same place. I doubt very much that such gigs have been anything but rare since - gosh, the 70s or so.

Yes, those situations probably don't exist much anymore, and it's too bad in that it could be great "on the job training". In Los Angeles, there are rehearsal bands (or were?) that met once a week. That might have replaced the ongoing gigs situation as practice. Unfortunately, this shows the regard for the value of live music. Today, one is more likely to see a DJ in any club that has music, not a band. Ironically, with the Internet, more people are learning to play an instrument (which is great) but there are less chances to play (which is not).

Locality
UK
Yes, those situations probably don't exist much anymore, and it's too bad in that it could be great "on the job training"
Not half, my generation certainly missed out on this. The most I did as a residency was two nights, weekly. I did this as a duo for years and we'd usually have a couple on the go at any one time.

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Did the cruise liner thing way back in the late 1960s going back and forth from California to Hawaii. I was both singer and Cruise host so did all the "social" jobs like bingo, horse racking, etc. plus two shows every night and piano bar until the last drunk left. Wake up a few hours later and did it all again. A **** of a job with five days on as an 18 to 20 hour day and one day off in Hawaii, then another five with two days off in California. Stayed until it was obvious that I'd die at a very young age. Went back to University and never wanted to be a full time musician again. Now do occasional gigs and have sung in a few groups and opera. Mostly just recording via file sharing. Have recently been doing improvisation workshops for dancers (I play, they dance) organized by local a local University. Used to do cafes, wineries, and weddings, but not so much anymore.

Locality
UK
I only ever did one cruise. It was a 7 day big band cruise around the Hawaiian islands on a relatively small steam ship. We had joint passenger and crew status and a cabin on sun deck. Pay was excellent. Spoiled is the word. Most tea dances were cancelled, the only gig each day being the evening set for about 75 mins.

Some good players too - lead trumpet was with Paul Anka.

We ate at the captains table. I played a lot of shuffleboard, ate at least 7 times a day and worked out in the gym. My mate and I also hired a soft top Mustang to drive around the Big Island.

Fab.

fibracell

8 months 7 days a week on a ferry. I thought I'd go mental, as some of the singers/dancers actually did. Never been near a ship since then. Lots of other residencies in the 80's when there was loads of gigs and work for musicians - 3 to 5 nights a week.
Also, one gig, had to play 4 hours a night!

Locality
UK
8 months 7 days a week on a ferry. I thought I'd go mental, as some of the singers/dancers actually did. Never been near a ship since then. Lots of other residencies in the 80's when there was loads of gigs and work for musicians - 3 to 5 nights a week.
Also, one gig, had to play 4 hours a night!
Blimey, respect! Guantanamo has nothing on this.

Dibbs

I used to play keyboards in the band for shows on the pier in Morecambe in the late 70s. Two shows a night, seven nights a week and a matinee on Sundays right through the Summer. Then I became a software developer and have done very few gigs since.

I guess that's not really the sort of gig you were thinking about though.

So, there are a few OG on this site after all!

By the way, Red Holloway did a bunch of those cruises, I think he enjoyed it and the pay was good. He probably only played and sang.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
It's an interesting experience, I'd imagine. I would like to have tried that/like to try it ....but I think today no landlubber-ing 'small' venue is gonna do that anymore, unless of course we are talking a pretty famous recording artist.

I think the only place a band could land something like that now....4 nights a week, 5 nights a week, in a row, etc...would be on a ship.

The only other possibility would be a bar/club in the sticks, maybe. The sorta place where there is really no major city for over 100+ miles around. I could see a nitespot in one of those places paying a band to do a 2 or 3-nighter....but I doubt anyplace today would ever schedule a single band for 5 straight nights....

Wade Cornell

Locality
Yes, those situations probably don't exist much anymore, and it's too bad in that it could be great "on the job training". In Los Angeles, there are rehearsal bands (or were?) that met once a week. That might have replaced the ongoing gigs situation as practice. Unfortunately, this shows the regard for the value of live music. Today, one is more likely to see a DJ in any club that has music, not a band. Ironically, with the Internet, more people are learning to play an instrument (which is great) but there are less chances to play (which is not).

Funnily enough a very occasional gig I do is with DJs at "private parties". It's a kick as the dancers love having someone playing live and most DJ dance music is devoid of a melodic line. Very easy stuff to play as mostly modal with very strong beats. The venues are private with invitees paying to be somewhere "safe" where they can get a bit wild. Drugs and nudity expected. Most go all night but I limit my play to four hours. At nearly 75 now I'm probably getting a bit old for this but those naked young women keep drawing me back. I just missed playing one a few weeks ago, but I had a bad cold and the venue was mostly outdoors (and it's winter here!).

I think the only place a band could land something like that now....4 nights a week, 5 nights a week, in a row, etc...would be on a ship.
Indeed, a ship wouldn't have 10 bands to rotate :)

If you folks think about this, it's very different from a tour, since there's no travel. There was a comic who I saw out in the (SF) Valley once who said, "It's great playing the same club. You can come to work from a different direction every night!" Ba da boom!
gig I do is with DJs at "private parties"
I'd like to be able to do that, but it has little in common with playing in a band, because the tracks can't react to what you play.

Wade Cornell

Locality
Indeed, a ship wouldn't have 10 bands to rotate :)

If you folks think about this, it's very different from a tour, since there's no travel. There was a comic who I saw out in the (SF) Valley once who said, "It's great playing the same club. You can come to work from a different direction every night!" Ba da boom!

I'd like to be able to do that, but it has little in common with playing in a band, because the tracks can't react to what you play.
That's for sure...but the dancer can!