support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Gig tales and anecdotes

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
Played my first gig since lockdown last night. Enjoyed it immensely, a Floyd tribute thing.

As with all gigs, things didn't always go to plan, so I thought we could maybe share our gig tales of when things went wrong. I'll start :)

Our first set was Dark Side. The first sax part for me is playing the vocals for Great Gig, and that went well, so I'm very happy, feeling good about it. We go straight into money, and I have a tall sax stand that I pop my sax on, and then play the solo from (as I need to do a quick change from guitar to sax, no time to put the sax on the strap). The moment comes, I sling my guitar over my shoulder, step to the stand...

...and realise that, somehow, it is at the wrong height. It's about 3 inches too high. The only way I can play is on tip-toes, and even that's a stretch. I can hear a few squeaks as I'm playing, and that throws me, so the first few bars are pretty bad (although feedback from the audience afterwards suggested no-one but me noticed!). Then I settled in and got through, although for some of it I'm on one foot, tip-toes, off balance, if one member of the audience blows at me I'll fall over. Blimey, that first move to the sax, realising it's at the wrong height and also realising I've got to just get through it!

So, anyone else has unexpected issues at gigs (I have many more...maybe it's just me!)

I used to do a weekly gig where one day a couple showed up and the girl/woman stripped and danced around naked. nobody seemed to mind. She wasn't exactly pretty, but oh well. The odd thing was that she kept showing up...same thing every week for a few months. Odd when stuff like that becomes "normal".

Evidently I had a topless flasher at a pub gig a few years ago. I didn't see anything because of the lights, but my wife did, and gave me a slap for it when we finished the gig. To say I was slightly confused is an understatement :confused: