Getting crowded in Cornwall

fluterer

Hello All
Guess it's time to stick my head above the parapet and hope no-one shoots. The natives all seem to be friendly, and there seem to be a fair few of them down here in Cornwall.
Well, as you can probably guess from my name I tend to mostly play the flute, but I have a long standing desire to make all sorts of squarking noises so tend to abuse reed instruments as a side line (including oboe, cor anglais, clarinet, rauschpfeife and various bagpipes. The flute gets played out and about (for morris dancing and in a ceilidh/barn dance band), the rest of the instruments not so much.
Sax related activity has generally been more musical and less abusive squarking and has occasionally been perpetrated in public. Up until recently it involved an old Buescher True-Tone stencil C-Melody and an Akai EWI (not a sax, I know). Recently though I've been craving an "Acoustic EWI" and I'm now a proud member of the Bauhaus Walstein Owners Club, with a straight bronze soprano...what can I say, worked straight out the box, sounds superb and is an absolute pleasure to play. In fact, in the last week, the flute has hardly had a look in, could be time to start persuading the rest of the band that there is a need for a sax.
I think that sums things up, time for a beer now.
Cheers
Kevin in Cornwall (Fluterer)

dooce

Hi Kevin and welcome from a fellow flutist/flautist/flaunterer/whatever is the politically correct designation currently, and fellow Walstein straight soprano owner. Nice little bits of kit, aren't they? Mine's going on holiday to Greece with me next week (the Greeks don't know - yet) :D

Phil Edwards

Hi Kevin, welcome to the room. I've played sax a long time and recently started dabbling with flute, so we're on the opposite trajectory.

Phil

OP
F

fluterer

Normally have a fiddle or two as well. As for the ankle bell, that would be the microphone pre-amp for the flute which fell off its belt clip at an inconvenient moment (as it often does). Not that I'd ever play amplified for morris dancing, not me, never your honour...not with the laws on entertainment licences etc

Oh yes...and the "Tenor" is really a C-Melody

Last edited by a moderator:

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
I still love my old Gemeinhardt flute and play it often...though it doesn't chase the squirrels away the way the Martin bari does.....welcome to the BR Kevin!

Drphil

Hi there,
being less musical and experinced than yourself,its amazing how my first few attempts sounded like my ducks
Phil

OP
F

fluterer

Hmm, went through that wonderful quacking phase when I tried the sax for the first time. As for the Oboe, I should have taken that out during the shooting season as a duck call.
Now I need a whole heap more practice so that the soprano sounds good all the time, then I might consider taking it out in public.
Oh yes, you also have to take into consideration the fact that what I consider "good" may have others running to find ear plugs. These things are relative.

K

Top Bottom