support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Keyboards Getting a piano tomorrow!

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
My wife had a piano bought for her when she was in her teens, apparently a decent quality one. Just an upright, nothing fancy. It's sat in her parents house ever since, and hasn't been played for twenty years or so. Anyway, she's decided she wants it here, so it's being delivered tomorrow. She wants to start playing again, and to encourage the kids to play too.

I'm having a firm of piano movers shift it - I would never try to move a piano. Or should I say, to try to move another piano. Best part of thirty years ago a mate and I helped our music teacher shift a cheapy schools issue 3/4 piano up half a dozen stairs. Although the physical pain has long gone, the mental scars remain!

I can't play the piano, but I'm oddly quite excited about it!

Bound to be miles out of tune, what with being moved and not being tuned for years.

Reminds me of Bernard Cribbins' comedy song "Right Said Fred". The object being moved is never actually named but a piano is a good candidate. I looked up the words to remind myself - http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/abcd/bernardcribbins_rsf.htm . Was it really nearly 50 years ago? Showing my age.
Good luck Jon. Should be enjoyable (having the piano, not getting it moved in that is). We sold our upright years ago, but we've still got two full sized keyboards.
YC

Very distracting the piano. Just lift the lid and off you go. You don't have to suck anything before you start playing. (just a little tip there)

Sounds like fun. One of my greatest pleasures is listening to my wife play!

That was my first thought! Nothing nicer to coming home from work to hear my Suzy practicing on the piano. Usually the cats and dawgs are surrounding her listening too. Now that's just strange. :O)

Tuning a piano should be done every six months if the instrument is played at all. I suppose you could get by with once a year.

It's been a real pleasure since we married, she plays the flute and classical guitar as well. And the more she plays the better it gets.

It does stop them nagging.

Another tip, never marry a piano playing opera singer.

TRIPLE FORTE.

Tuning a piano should be done every six months if the instrument is played at all. I suppose you could get by with once a year.
I still have my mothers piano, it's not been played for about 30 years, until a month or so ago when a caller to the house saw it, lifted the lid and gave it a go, he said suprisingly it was more or less in tune.

Apart from anything else they do make an exelent centre piece to any room, irigardless of weather you can play or not!

I'll always remember the piano we had in our house as I was growing up. My parents tried to encourage us all (myself, my brother and my sister) to be musical. I hated piano lessons and rebelled as hard as possible. My brother however took to it like a duck to water, my sister, a little less enthusiastically.
I remember two instances that effected my life quite badly. The first was when the piano tuner came to do his job. I knew that he was totally blind and my mother would meet him outside the house as he arrived by taxi. She would then lead him through to where the piano stood in the hall and then she would leave him to it. He would feel his way around the piano as if it was his lover. Tender gentle and caring hands would lovingly work their way around the instrument. One day I stood in the hall to watch him at his art. I had been standing there, silently for some while, almost holding my breath so that he couldn't hear me. He turned as if to "look" at me and said "Do you play sonny Jim?" I was too scared to answer and ran out of the room!!! I remember that so clearly although I was only about six!
The second thing I remember about the piano was the fact that when I was about fourteen, I started playing the Oboe. Sadly I was a lazy teenager and I left my beautiful bakelite Oboe on top of the piano. The next time my sister played the piano she opened the top to play it sending my Oboe to it's death. The hall floor was polished brick!

I hope you create much nicer memories of your piano than I did Jon

Well, we now have a piano. Fits in really well. And despite have been unused for twenty years or so, and moved about, it's pretty near in tune. Amazing really, just like the one Fraser has. I'll still get it tuned up in a week or so, once it's settled and relaxed into its new home.

Back
Top Bottom