All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Getting a 90s Link STM "Tuned"

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I have a decent playing 90s Link Super Tone master USA 6* (not NY), it can be a bit stuffy but is better than a couple of very current ones I`ve tried, it`s always been said on these forums that these modern bog standard metal links are best seen as "blanks" and can be made to play far better (flattened table, opened out etc) .. There are a quite a few mouthpiece refacers in the UK so was wondering if anyone here had one done and who they`d recommend ...

Thought also that it`d make an interesting thread .

fibracell

I had a link STM refaced and 'floridated' by Morgan Fry. Cost £100 quid but well worth it.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I wonder why people don't buy a decent mouthpiece in the first place. There's loads to choose from. You just have to put up with the fact that they don't have the magic word "Link" on them.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks Fibracell, I`ll check his site .......

I wonder why people who have nothing useful to add feel the need to take a dump on a thread - feel relieved Nick ?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I wonder why people who have nothing useful to add feel the need to take a dump on a thread - feel relieved Nick ?
Much better thanks.
Sorry if I offended you. I thought it was a reasonable comment.
I'll start a new thread then.

Last edited:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Sorry if I offended you. I thought it was a reasonable comment.

No offense taken - I just thought the comment was irrelevant and rather reverse-snobbish . BTW - I don`t hold the link name in any kind of Awe, the reverse in fact given their inability to replicate their most successful revisions , does anyone thesedays revere link, beyond a few vintage pieces ?

sometimes getting something which is almost there, tweaked the last 10% can be better than spending weeks confusing yourself trying every alternative out there, ending up in circles and likely not getting something to suit fully in the end.
Even then, that only applies to those who live within commuting distance of a shop which stocks a plethora of things to begin with or have a money tree and serious Mouthpiece GAS . I fall in to none of these categories as many people don`t.....

Last edited:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
No offense taken - I just thought the comment was irrelevant and rather reverse-snobbish . BTW - I don`t hold the link name in any kind of Awe, the reverse in fact given their inability to replicate their most successful revisions , does anyone thesedays revere link, beyond a few vintage pieces ?

I recently called in on Bobby Wellins, he'd just bought a new Link because he wanted to start using a more open tip. He didn't even consider another make because it's what he has always played. He sounded great on it, brand new Link out of the box.

Yes, he tried a PPT, but didn't get on with it.

I don't really get on with Links, but i did like a Morgan Fry Floridated 8* I tried so Morgan would be my advice to anyone who does want a stock Link fettled.

However it's all opinion, IMO there is no better or worse (unless there is something physically wrong with the mouthpiece)

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks Pete . I liked the PPT very much but find that the link better suited to the Yamaha`s already bright balance tonally, it has almost enough life without being too edgy - the tweaking will no doubt remove the slightly stuffy regions (the almost part) and open it up a bit . this was my theory, I can live with it as it is but given that £100 for the used STM + £100 for the mod is still cheaper than an Aizen and about the same as a new "blank" link

fibracell

I originally bought a link because all the tenor players I like seemed to use links. I then learned about all the variations of florida and 'no usa' links, and decided it was worth getting the morgan fry mods. rather than shell out 400 or 500 quid He opens the chamber and adds a slight baffle, as well as changing the facing. I didn't want to go through endless GAS with mouthpieces.

Having said that, of course, I wouldn't mind testing a PPT...

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I didn't want to go through endless GAS with mouthpieces. ...

100% there on that one - I`ve not the money nor the inclination ....

I found the PPT (Had the Onyxite 8* from February uptil last week) is incredibly powerful with loads of control , it does tend towards a brighter balance and I`d guess would be perfect on the various selmers and clones (the MkVII would just love the thing) . as I now play Yamahas, I found it a bit much brightness wise, the lig-unfriendly shape was annoying too as you can`t just slap any HR metal one on the thing, I prefer metal ligs to fabric ones . if you play rock then you'll appreciate the power and you can growl into the thing all day long - LOL.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I bought one of Morgan's floridated links from one of the members, forget whom. Plays beautifully. Easier than the PPT. Too good to sell, but the PPT suits my tenor/mood better. But the the backup I carry around is the Floridated link.

But metal links are also lig unfriendly - you need cloth or a special metal one. Or you can customise a standard metal one with a hammer and drift like the one supplied with mine. Wish I could remember who it was, he did a great job.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`m finding the stock lig is OK, I did try the silver plated Selmer 3 band one which I got for the sharkbite , that works fine too as its soft metal and bends to the shape of the lumpy rail on top ....

To be honest, I find all metal pieces a challenge lig wise - I`m using a Rovner Soprano one designed for a Dukoff on my LAW Altos (haven`t a clue what they`re supposed to use) - the Selmer is really too big for the Sharkbite (supposedly a selmer clone) as the thing is full tightness so who knows what fits that .

Last edited:

fibracell

The link I bought came with a selmer metal lig - but the top rail had been filed down, so that the lig fits.

I also have a NY link with stock lig that is. not very good.

dref

I am led to beleive that the windcraft etude tenor mouthpiece is almost identical to an early Otto link Tone-Edge. Is this a cheap way into the Otto link club. How much better is the real thing

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Sounds interesting . if it is as you say, it`ll be better than a modern real tone edge

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I bought one of Morgan's floridated links from one of the members, forget whom. .

Me, I think. I'm not sure where I got it from, but I do remember that, although it did indeed play very well, it just didn't grab me.

I've had a few Links over the years, and the tenor piece I play mostly is one. It's a battered old thing, a 10, and has had a lot of work done. It has had the table levelled, rails evened out and a big baffle added. Suits me, bright but with a lot of oomph. I bought it like that for forty quid, which has proved a bargain. Before that I played Lawtons, a Berg 120/0 Duckbill and a Law Buzzer (Nick, I think that went to you?). I'm not sure I'd ever buy a Link with the aim of getting it customised, though. I did once get a virtually new one, an STM New York, either a 9 or a 10, and that played great out of the box. If I couldn't find one which did that, I'd move on to another brand.

Incidentally, the only mouthpiece I've ever had which was utterly unplayable was a Berg Larsen metal 115/1.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Almost every post I`ve read about those stainless steel Bergs has been negative , from the way they play to the sound and onto how hard they are to work on ..

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Almost every post I`ve read about those stainless steel Bergs has been negative , from the way they play to the sound and onto how hard they are to work on ..
Some are very nice...

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Law Buzzer (Nick, I think that went to you?).

Indeed it did - and jolly good it is too. A very easy blow and not at all buzzy. Not that I use it a great deal though. I tend to stick with the Guardala MBIIs or the PPT9*.

My first tenor mouthpiece was a Berg 105/0 which was very good - played for about 10 years. I'd agree that some are pretty difficult to play, but I always liked the sound (apart from from one alto piece I had).

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`d like to try the LAW LCM in Tenor at some stage , the Alto is fantastic

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom