support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Gerry Rafferty has died

That's a shame.
What is it with the Scots and drink?

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

There but for the grace....!

RIP Gerry Rafferty

Funny thing is...I've never played Baker Street on a gig. Not ever.
And not that I don't do the sort of gigs where it would go down well either.

I have, though, played the riff on the very horn that was used for the recording. Which was nice.

Regards,

Yeah, show off :D
Baker Street is one of those pieces I decided to try to perfect - still trying; but one day...
:sax:

My attempts have been woeful can't get it to sound anything like and I remember when I bought my first sax and the salesman asked what I was hoping to play it was obviously that,I think it's probably a trick question and they all have a laugh when you've gone.and then when you see the music as a novice and there are about 5 sharps at the beginning and all the notes are millimetres apart it all becomes very daunting,fortunately my tutor put me at ease by saying what on earth do you want to play that for you do the riff and that's it, anyway ONE DAY ...john:confused:

Nothing against Mr Rafferty, but I really, really, really, hate that number. The worst thing about the man's demise will be my having to listen it every time I switch on the radio for the next three weeks.;}

Nothing against Mr Rafferty, but I really, really, really, hate that number. The worst thing about the man's demise will be my having to listen it every time I switch on the radio for the next three weeks.;}

I guess a lot of people feel this way. Pity about Baker St. It's a great song that got played to death and once one is overexposed to something, you develop a kind of allergy to it. Like so many other wonderful pieces of music - Imagine, Stairway to Heaven, Smoke on the Water, Born in the USA, Sultans of Swing.....

I guess a lot of people feel this way. Pity about Baker St. It's a great song that got played to death and once one is overexposed to something, you develop a kind of allergy to it. Like so many other wonderful pieces of music - Imagine, Stairway to Heaven, Smoke on the Water, Born in the USA, Sultans of Swing.....
The whole of Paul Simon's Gracelands, Midnight hour, Mustang Sally, Johnny b Goode etc....

I first started listening to Gerald Rafferty in 1972, and especially love the first Album he did with Stealers Wheel - had lost interest before Baker Street became the reference point for sax solos, and always thought that he had a mournful sound, and sad to hear/read about his recent demise -:shocked::crying:

Kind regards
Tom

Does anyone know of a track he did relativley recently as a single- I remember hearing it on the radio about 5 years ago- very dark & bluesy and more than a bit reminiscent of Morphine.....?

Does anyone know of a track he did relativley recently as a single- I remember hearing it on the radio about 5 years ago- very dark & bluesy and more than a bit reminiscent of Morphine.....?

I only know that his last release was the 'Life goes on' album 27-11-2009 the album before that was as far back as 1998. The song 'Don't speak of my heart' was the most popular from the 'Life goes on album'.

I have nothing against the late Gerry Rafferty, but I read that he made £80,000 a year from PRS for Baker Street.
Raphael Ravenscoft who played the saxophone (the only part the man in the street knows) got paid once for the session.
Doesn't seem terribly fair does it?

Youre right Raphael did only get a session fee for Baker Street but the thing most people dont know is that the Cheque bounced.

I had Raf come and stay with me and the family in Devon for 12 weeks while he convalesced. Ive worked on all his saxes and repadded his old Adolphe sax before it went off for auction at Bonhams.He is now playing on Yanagisawas mainly.

Such is the life of a session musician... What did he play Baker Street on?

Heard on the radio that the solo was originally going to be a guitar part but did not quite 'fit'.

Griff knows far more about this than I do but was it an improvised solo or on the charts? I realise that the 'feel' of the part was down to Raf, the producer, the sound technician and the time available and only ask for information purposes.