Tutorials

General comments & criticisms invited, please.

RedBottom

Just thought I'd post this for your impressions. We've just come to the end of our third year of playing together. Some have been playing for years, some for a couple of years, and some dusting off instruments after playing as kids. I get my 'exposed' bit in Stand By Me following the horn cue (because our two horns are a little, erm, inconsistent to say the least).

At the moment we're doing just two or three concerts a year, but we're looking to expand our programe over the next couple of years or so. :)

Edit: meant to tell you, the sound doesn't actually cut in until about 0:13.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I'm not sure I picked you out, (I think thats probably a good thing, in other words you weren't out of tune or playing in the wrong place) but I have to say that that sounds like one whole heap of fun!! :cheers:

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Good choice of melodies for a summer concert. Happy tunes with a bit of kick to them :)

As per normal (/ is required?) in a big band there are always someone who don't care to much about practising (and it really shouldn't be me writing this as I tend to skip practising myself), but all in all I think you gave people a good time.

Well done, and happy playing.
(But for heavens sake, tell the clarinettist to change the reed!.... ASAP....)

stefank

A good bit of "community banding" (I do my fair share). It's almost inevitable that there are some sections of the band who sometimes display more enthusiasm than technique/finesse, but an important part of being a community band in giving everyone who is prepared to commit themselves a go (and somebody has to play the trumpet parts).

I like the overall direction/shaping of the performance - the ideas are good, and in most cases they are quite well executed. I must admit to not being a huge fan of this type of medley, although every now and then you strike a reasonable one. Rock and roll tunes are best played by rock and roll bands!

OP
R

RedBottom

All comments taken on board and duly agreed with. It's one of those pieces we all love and so we all get a bit carried away with it no matter how hard the MD tries.

We now have a couple of vids on YouTube for anyone's delectation and delight, Holst's Fantasia on the Dargason (that's me on 1st Alto at the start) and the old band standard, Instant Concert (me again on 1st Alto - the boss has too much faith in me ;})

stefank

I'm partial to a bit of Holst.

Nice work, although again some sections of the band are playing in a less than controlled manner in some of the louder bits. The sound is a bit "thick" at times, but that is probably exacerbated by the microphone(s) being too far away from the band in a fairly reverberant hall. I also suspect that the recording device had automatic gain control switched on, which tends to squash the dynamics of the piece.

I shall remain silent on the subject of medlies. Here endeth my review of recording techniques!

Top Bottom