support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

G'day from WA

Captain Clive

I live in the northern most town in West Australia a little place called Wyndham. Population around 800. We have 2 seasons a year the "wet" & "dry" currently the wet. Tropical storms, cyclones, hot & humid. Daily temperatures high 30s to mid 40s Celsius that is. During the dry about 6 months of little to no rain and daytime temps mid 30s. My main interest and the way I pass my evenings is listening to music - mainly jazz. Vinyl is my preferrence. The nearest music shop is Darwin a mere 1000kms away. EBay & other online sources are my friends.

At 64 I decided it was time to start on my bucket list with learning to play a musical instrument near the top. Loving jazz it just had to be the sax. Last time I was on holidays in Brisbane Queensland I bought an alto sax, a handfull of reeds and with my faithful companion Bucky, a 3 year old English Toy Terrier, drove the 3750km back home with sax in back. The Internet is again my friend as I search every website pertaining to saxophones. I have even starting looking on utube for lessons, inspiration, etc. I eventually found this website where there seems to be like minded folk and some old geezers like me.

Bucky and I will be heading back to Brisbane for a few weeks over Easter and have arranged a couple of lessons to hopefully set me on the right track.

Cheers Clive

G'day Clive, sling another shrimp on the barbie and suck on a cold one, your cooler than a Dingo wearing sunnies!

I have no idea what I just said, but welcome to the Cafe!

Thanks for all the welcomes. Just finished a long weekend and it's back to work this morning. One of the advantages of living in a small town is that it's only a 2 min commute to work.

Jeanette, I wouldn't say Bucky enjoys my "playing" but he does tolerate it, which is surprising considering the size of his ears with their ability to pick up the slightest sound outside. He does give me one of those looks when I manage one of the many high pitched squeaks.

Taz - Aussies don't put shrimps on the barbie - that was for the US market. We call the prawns - not to be confused with the term "raw prawn". With have dingoes, prawns, barramundi and crocs in abundance here. No other sax players or jazz lovers and we have liquor restrictions that regulate the amount and time one can buy their favourite drop. Coldies don't come cheap either, double the city price.

Any suggestions re online resources would be greatly appreciated. There are lots of websites with glowing testimonials within. Just send your credit card details.

Cheers Clive

Last edited by a moderator:
Taz - Aussies don't put shrimps on the barbie - that was for the US market. We call the prawns - not to be confused with the term "raw prawn". With have dingoes, prawns, barramundi and crocs in abundance here. No other sax players or jazz lovers and we have liquor restrictions that regulate the amount and time one can buy their favourite drop. Coldies don't come cheap either, double the city price.

Hey captain sounds to me like next time youre in the big smoke you`d better pick up one of those home brew kits
Theyre good..... honest.
Im from down melbourne way, probly about as far on land as I could be from you but welcome to the cafe man.
Its great to hear a great outlook on life from someone else whos on the flip side of fifty.
You blow man.... blow. Ive been playin for nearly 2 years and everyday I love it more and learn more.
Rgards
Allansto............ down south.

Allansto - use to have a home brew kit and I agree they're not bad. Trouble is you can't buy the ingredients and freight is a killer. Spent some time in Melbourne during my Navy days - there was a girl named - never mind was never good at names. Must get back there one of these days. Early days yet but just loving the sax - why didn't I do this sooner. Still got another 20-30 years of playing left in me.

Old Git - did 12 years in the Navy and bought my own yacht when I left, declared myself captain, the title stuck even the grandkids call me Captain. Haven't had any obvious problems with the humidity (not that I would know anyway). The air conditioner goes 24/7 this time of year.

Finished work for the day time to have a play.

Cheers Clive

good one cap`n
I had a couple real great mates in the navy .................Clearance divers

funny story bout that .....they used to make home brew but couldnt wait for the beer to mature so drank it green and always got crook after .............funny that.

Quote:captain clive................. just loving the sax - why didn't I do this sooner. Still got another 20-30 years of playing left in me.

Bull$#%! ......Im taking mine with me when I go heaven , hell or high water.
Allansto .

You know we have 24 million people living down here in the colonies now........... dont you andy.??????
You come visit us some time .....................bring your sax.
Allansto.:)))
Next visit booked for May, Alansto. Not bringing the sax though.
It does seem to be getting crowded down your neck of the woods. Or at least it is in Sydney where Dunc lives.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom