All profit supporting   special needs music

Other GAS Sufferers & Saxoholicos, Here's a sure-fire cure for your addiction.

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Most of us know that nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. And given that I live in Spain that has been true for me too. They visited me the other night while I was drooling over another sax on eBay with my just received new alto still in it'right there in plain sight. And just like they use to use thumb screws on the apostate Spaniards of old, they used them on me too. In this case however it was just one thumb screw that they put on my right thumb. That of course is my sax hook thumb, the one that has the big bone bump from years of playing vintage torture thumb hooks. They told me that the purpose of this thumb screw is to prevent a Saxoholic from acting on impulse and buying more mpcs and saxes just because of an attack of gas.

The way it works is that when you find yourself perusing the ads online and start getting those thoughts rising up of how wonderful it would be to own "this one", you turn the big thumb screw on the thumb clamp until it hurts enough to make those thoughts disappear. Once the GAS attack has subsided you can loosen the screw and go back to normal life until the next time you need it. Here you see a picture of it on my thumb, ready for action in the event that I start getting the urge again.

BTW, this device also doubles as an emergency ligature for a soprano sax mouthpiece, although it is a bit odd looking.

IMG 20201212 114142673 HDR

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
BTW, this device also doubles as an emergency ligature for a soprano sax mouthpiece, although it is a bit odd looking.
So the solution is:
- buy another soprano mouthpiece
- attach thumbscrew to new mouthpiece as ligature
- problem solved

Jimmymack

Jimmymack

Locality
London
It’s not really a cure is it, more a maintenance dose?

saxyjt

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Hmm, I'd rather buy another horn or two! ;) I'll suffer hell from the wife if she finds out, but that's a risk I'm prepared to take. I'm not one for self inflicted pain...

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Hmm, I'd rather buy another horn or two! ;) I'll suffer hell from the wife if she finds out, but that's a risk I'm prepared to take. I'm not one for self inflicted pain...
How is suffering hell from your wife because of doing that not self-inflicted pain....inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes: :cat::verysad

Jimmymack

Jimmymack

Locality
London
How is suffering hell from your wife because of doing that not self-inflicted pain....inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes: :cat::verysad
That’s true, and at least with your method you get to decide when the pain stops. Also disapproval by wives has been shown to not work.

saxyjt

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
It's only an hypothetic risk: if caught! That's a very different mental approach. ;)

And life without risks is dull... Taking calculated risks is exciting. :D

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
It's only an hypothetic risk: if caught! That's a very different mental approach. ;)

And life without risks is dull... Taking calculated risks is exciting. :D
I'm sure a sneaky pete like you must know the benefit of having extra cases for your horns. You get a new one...it can be second hand.....that is better than the main one saying as an explanation that it's more protective. Doing this even a 3rd time is easy to get by with, your excuse of having so many is that selling them is difficult because nobody wants to pay the cost of shipping. Okay? So now you have 3 tenor cases but make sure to always keep your one or two tenors out on their stands and keep the cases in the storage room or closet where your wife will avoid them like the plague anyway. The fact that later on you have newer tenors in them will then pass unnoticied as will your playing them even when she is at home because my experience is that one brass vintage tenor looks just like another and the same goes for silver ones with other silver ones. It's all generic to them so you're in like Flynn with 3 in the cases and 2 out on stands. Hell, if 5 isn't enoiugh for you then you really do need to see a shrink!!

T

Trigger

Locality
England
Collection just got bigger bought another MKVI alto this time a 1957
Got to buy Mittons to stop me clicking

SaxBoss

SaxBoss

Café Supporter
Locality
Australia
What a beauty. What did she set you back?

T

Trigger

Locality
England
I got it at a bargain price for a mkvi half market price
Also just picked up a Eastman 52nd street alto
And I must admit it’s a nice horn and got that for a really good price to

L

lydian

Locality
USA
I got it at a bargain price for a mkvi half market price
Also just picked up a Eastman 52nd street alto
And I must admit it’s a nice horn and got that for a really good price to
Since you immediately bought a second horn, it didn't actually cure your GAS after all :rolleyes:. Do we need a mod to change the thread title?

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Not sure if buying parts counts as GAS. I did acquire a couple thousand pads this last month.

L

lydian

Locality
USA
If I had the funds I’d have bought the mkvii tenor that sunnyray was selling , I haven’t got gas I’ve got a new pension fund , I keep telling myself they are investments too
I like that idea. I'll just tell my wife all those horns are my pension fund and see if she'll let me back in the house.

T

Trigger

Locality
England
;):eek:Remember collections can go up as well as down you must tell her that

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Gas today :doh:
I swapped a $20 tool I used once 10 years ago for a 1920 Buscher C mel. Bare brass all orginal with the white pads. Got a junk Selmer goldtone *3 tenor mouthpiece with it. I guess technically I didn’t buy anything :confused:
B1702BE3 0B15 4823 9E8C 98FF32A84D04
30E2ED5D D813 46FF A4F3 DF8B723C5DE5

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Is that the one they recovered from the Titanic?