All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jazz Garbarek - Conversation

visionari1

Yes it is Awesome....I was hoping for a conversation of a different kind (interview or discussion etc).
I saw him live when he came to NZ, on stage for 3 hours, never spoke a word, but he sure speaks with his horn to me.

Love the Visible World CD 1996.
Ta for tat
Jimu

TomMapfumo

The inspiration for me taking up the sax -brilliant playing. Seen him 3 times in past 19 years. Love Eberhard Weber on Bass too. The Molde Canticle is one of my favourites but he is excellent on both tenor and Soprano. Thanks for posting this. I have most of his Cd's at time of going to press.

Kind regards
Tom

North European Jazz is where it's at!

+1 for Visible World!

Last edited by a moderator:

johnboy

Thats the best thing I've heard in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell you one thing, you don't sound like that on 'HARD REEDS' (ducks quickly out of sight!!!) >:)

John ;}

johnboy

Specially for you, Johnboy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtH_g9RQvuQ

Regards
Tom

"Conversation" is on "Shankar - Song for Everyone" on Amazon.co.uk for £7.83 if anyone wants to hear more. I've had the CD about 16 years, and it was re-released in 2008. Good stuff!

I have been in the 'Wilderness' far too long! That's how I like a MkV1 & B.A. to sound (that's how I like any tenor to sound). My Spanish friends will love it!!!
Thank you so much guys, .'Hasta Siempre' - 'Until Forever', that's the way it's going to be for Cafe Saxophone :welldone

Ever Grateful Johboy :welldone

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
As much as I love Garbarek on sop, I find his tenor work more compelling and direct sounding.Probably because I play tenor and not sop! I was disappointed at a gig in Bradford a few years ago to see only soprano pieces being played, good as it was. It was nice to hear one of his pieces on Desert Island discs today. It was from one of the albums with The Hilliard Ensemble in a big church somewhere....Tom? The Shankar album is one I really must buy.

Sunray

I never get tired of listening to his music ...

Here is - Jan Garbarek Group - Mission: To Be Where I Am ...

:bigapplause:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
As much as I love Garbarek on sop, I find his tenor work more compelling and direct sounding.Probably because I play tenor and not sop! I was disappointed at a gig in Bradford a few years ago to see only soprano pieces being played, good as it was. .

Have you heard his live in Dresden album? Weirdly there are a few points where its very hard to tell if he's on sop or tenor.....

TomMapfumo

On his first Album - Afric Pepperbird he does not even play Soprano Sax - just Tenor and Bass Saxes. Also no Norwegian Folk Tunes (but this is 41 years ago, and a lot can change)!

TomMapfumo

Have you heard his live in Dresden album? Weirdly there are a few points where its very hard to tell if he's on sop or tenor.....

He rarely plays the lower register on Tenor, just middle and upper registers, so would be very difficult to tell, except live of course!

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
No matter what he plays you always know it's him playing. Even Sue my wife who hates most jazz always knows it's Garbarek!
I'll look out for the Dresden album Jules, thanks.

Top Bottom