All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Beginner G# to F# problem

BeBopSop

Hi all, might sound a daft question but, can I play G# then go to F# (while still holding the G#) or do I let go of G# and just hold G

reason for asking by the way, is that the sound of the F# sounds a bit weak and I have noticed the F# pad is not quite seated, I can push it down and the weak sound goes and all sounds good.

thanks

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Yes, you should be able to keep the G# key pressed when playing an F# (or anything else lower).

Sounds like it needs a bit of regulating.

Hold the F# key down and see if the G# pad moves when you press the G# key. It shouldn't. If it does there's a little adjusting screw above the G# pad that needs turning until the cork just touches the G# pad when the F# key is pressed.

If that's not entirely clear, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain it better.

BeBopSop

Hi Nick, just tried it and it does move very slightly, but it seems that the G# pad needs to go down a tad more also, if when I hold G# and F# down at the same time, I can eliminate the problem by pressing the top of the G# pad down with a spare finger. It does seem like you said, it needs regulating.
regards John

Colin the Bear

Seems clear enough to me.

Holding the G# key is a handy thing on the sax. Simplifies some finger patterns in sharp keys. I had a similar problem on the baritone. F#closed the G# flap but F didn't quite close it. I didn't notice anything wrong untill playing a certain number. I coiuldn't understand what was going on till I got it on the table. A little regulation and the problem was gone.

Holding the G# is a good habit to get into for certain pieces.

Depending which make of sax you have regulation should be easy enough. Some have a separate mechanism for F F# and D buttons to close G#. You may need to adjust screws and/or replace slivers of cork or felt.

BeBopSop

Yes, I noticed when playing 'Alfie' in 3 sharps on my Alto, when you have to go from G# to F#, I will have a look to see if I can do it, thanks Colin.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Holding the G# is a good habit to get into for certain pieces.

True. For sharp keys (A to C#) you should be able to mostly just keep your finger on G# or, even better, on C# which on modern instruments also opens the G# when necessary.

This mechanism can easily go out of adjustment, in which case many modern instruments have an adjusting screw but if in doubt or if it keeps going wrong see a technician.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
By "F# pad" do you mean the one just above the key you press to play F? The middle key on the right hand that is pressed to play F# is sometimes referred to as the F# key, but it is actually the E key.

For regulation in this area three things have to happen. Pressing either the F or Eb key must close the F# pad completely and also prevent the G# from opening when any key on the L.H. table is pressed. Pressing either the F or Eb key should also close the Bis Bb key although this regulation can be on the "light" side and still work.

For folks like me whose 3rd finger and pinky don't easily move independently of each other, it is not helpful to park the pinky on a left hand table key and leave it there. All that accomplishes is to hamper the movement of my 3rd finger and slow down my technique. I will however keep the pinky down when doing a trill or tremollo involving G# (Ab).

BeBopSop

Fixed it! Yaaaaa! traced the problem to one of the teeny adjusting screws on the rod that moves keys F E D Thanks to all the above for your help (I thought I was going to have to take it to our local repairman)

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom