support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

G# sticking

thehunt

Hi guys, know how to clean my pads etc etc but anybody got a trick how to stop my G# key sticking when left unattended for a night. when i don't have lessons or band practice put my sax on it's stand so i can use it every day. I did use pad savers but people have said this stops air circulating.
Not a big problem but wondering if this would cause long term damage to the pads?

Sticky G#

Yup

Go to your friendly local newspaper shop. Ask for a packet of King sized Rizla papers. Ignore the smirk from the shopkeeper who assumes you're a dope-head.

Take one Rizla, slice off the sticky strip. Place de-stickistripped Rizla under the G# key after playing, so that it completely covers the pad. It won't stick. It'll also absorb the sticky finish on the pad a bit and make it less likely to stick in future. Don't forget to take said Rizla out when you next start playing.:)

I was plagued with the same problem and solved it with Yamaha powder paper. Not as easily accessible as Rizlas, but at least as effective.

I put little wedges of Balsa wood under the keys that normally stay closed, at least until everything dries after practice.
takes seconds to put in and with a bit of string between them, you won't forget to take them out :)

Prop open the C# key with a piece of card when you put the horn away. This will open the G# pad keeping it from drying stuck to the tonehole. And by opening the C# instead, you won't mess with the way the G# pad seats after a while.

I use Rizlas for precisely the same problem...G#...I don't leave it in over night though...just pull it through once with the key lightly closed onto it...don't bother trimming the glue edge either...just make sure that bit doesn't go under the pad.

Works very well.

Martin

I once passed on the Rizla tip to a young (and very promising) player. Only thing was when he went into the newsagent to buy some, they wouldn't serve him 'cause he was only 14. He had to get his dad to buy them for him. ;}