support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

G sharp key has no effect?

Sax4Jesus

Hey, all I'm having fun making Christmas music on sax and I came across a problem playing a G#. The key to make a G "a" sharp has no effect what so ever. Do I need repairs? I know this is kind of vague. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy solution to this before I take it to repair!
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 6.32.55 PM.png

It's probably sticking. It's a very common issue. Check that the key cup lifts when you press the G# spatula. You can gently pull it up if it's sticking. You may need to clean the pad.

"Par for the course" is also pretty common here in the States. It's from golf. It means something is the norm, to be expected.

Another cause of the G# key pad not lifting when the G# touch is pressed is that the spring has come unattached to the spring cradle or the spring has been broken or has fallen out. On some saxes this is a bit hard to see with other keys in the way.

G# and C# are different to all the other keys in as much as they are opened by one spring and closed by another spring. All the others are closed or opened by finger power. The delicate balance of the springs can easily be overpowered by the pad sticking to the tone hole.

It's good practice tonot only check G# and C# before playing but also to check all the normally closed pads too. Palm keys, side keys, trill keys etc. They can dry with a slight leak and make you think you've got a duff reed. A tiny leak at the top giving you big problems at the bottom.