All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

g sharp fingerings

mallyjames

hi all;i hope you are well.Is there an alternative fingering for g sharp ?.My g sharp using the linkage left hand pinky is un reliable.i have cleaned the pad and have seen better reaction but any alternate fingering tips would be very much appreciated.Some info;when asked why he still practiced 6 hours a day at 95 years of age,Pablo Casals(chello)said he noticed a slight improvment in his playing. best wishes Mally

Andante cantabile

I have never heard of one, though perhaps a sound resembling G# could be produced in another way. Perhaps looking at some ancient (not merely vintage) saxophones would give you a clue as to how it might be done. I am pretty sure, however, that you would be worse off.

saxnik

I tend to lip down from A if I need to - there's no other way of getting a G# I know of other than the key.
Maybe you need a new pad, or spring?

Or you could splash out on a Keilwerth with their posh patented twin-lever linkage..?!

Nick

singlereed

Second that - if that isn't working, possibly the C#, B and Bb won't be working properly either so get it looked at. Don't get a JK, though - the G# assembly used to stick really badly on the one I had and it was generally a dodgy horn......

AlanU

Hello
I've never heard of such a false/alternate fingering. But it doesn't really matter. Your horn has a fault.

Is this a new saxophone or one with a new pad?
Or is it a problem that has suddenly occurred on a familiar instrument?

If it is a new horn or pad it is probably just a pad that is sticking, but if so you'd feel the pad sticking and releasing later than it should.
Continue with the cleaning of pad and tone hole with lighter fluid and cotton buds.

If it is an older (familiar horn) it is probable that the G# return spring has become detached or the mechanism has taken a bang, or something is fouling the mechanism.
It should be possible to determine which.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
hi all;i hope you are well.Is there an alternative fingering for g sharp ?.
Technically yes, you can use any of the LH pinky keys to sharpen a G, it's quite common to use the C# key (but without the RH fingers), however this won't cure the problem of a sticking G# as they all operate the same mechanism.

There are some vintage saxophones, e.g. Leblanc, with fingering systems that allow alternative G#. On the Leblanc, I think you could flatten an A by using any of the three RH keys

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
One more thing: sometimes adjusting the strength of the spring for the G# will fix the issue, though the tension of that spring is quite critical. If it does fix it, then it should be considered a temporary bodge, because if you have to strengthen the spring to make it work, this still means the key is sticking to certain degree.

ie the key should open with no stickyness even with a very light spring.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Pete is quite correct abut the Leblanc alternative fingering. I have an alto Leblanc Rationale and depressing any of the RH keys will give a G♯ if A is played. It does have other quirky fingerings but I try to avoid them as it is easy to play them out of habit on a conventional sax with disastrous results

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom