Supporting   special needs music

G / B Flat connection on Yanagisawa T901

alistaircandlin

Locality
South Korea
Hi,

I was checking my Yanagisawa Tenor for leaks recently and noticed something about the mechanism. There's a connection between the G and the B flat keys which means that if you press the G touchpiece by itself, the Bis B flat key also partially closes, as well as the G key. This doesn't exist on my Martin tenor, or on a Yamaha alto I have.

If you have Steve Howard's saxophone manual, you can see the same thing on the picture of the Bauhaus tenor, on page 24. But I've attached a picture of my horn, below, with a picture of my Martin beneath that, for comparison.

There's some cork under the arm of the G touch piece, that partially closes the Bis key. This partial closing seems by design - a thicker cork would fully close the key.

My question is: what's this for? It seems redundant, because if you play a G, you'd have to close all the keys above it anyway. So what's the point in a connection that partly closes the Bis Flat when you play the G touchpiece by itself? I can only think that it might be used to flatten the pitch of some altissimo notes that need a special fingering.

Hope my description is clear, and thanks for reading. Any ideas?

Yanagisawa T901:

Yanagisawa T901

Martin Committee 3:

Martin Committee III saxophone

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I can only think that it might be used to flatten the pitch of some altissimo notes that need a special fingering.

This is what I've been told. One day I must try to close it when I am playing the high Bb as xxx\xoo.
I am quite surprised about the Yamaha alto not having it

Welcome to the forum

turf3

Locality
Earth
That's just happenstance because the arm of the "G key" passes over the other keycup. It isn't intended to close it partially or completely. Probably someone put cork there just so if you close the 3rd finger without the others it won't rattle on the keycup. You can ignore it, it's not an adjustment.

lydian

Locality
USA
XXX/XOO Wouldn't that be F?
True, but I thought he was talking about altissimo Bb. But I have to admit, my altissimo fingering for that is very different. It's not even close to the other fingering posted oox|xxx. Regardless, either posted fingering would close the bis anyway.

FWIW, my T880 has exactly the same design as the T901 and does not fully close the bis and really isn't supposed to. I agree with @turf3 .

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Oh dear...
One of the positions for high A is a D without the first LH finger (an maybe some opening stuff)
Removing the second LH finger can give a Bb.
Sometimes with adjustments (like removing 3rd RH finger)

lydian

Locality
USA
Oh dear...
One of the positions for high A is a D without the first LH finger (an maybe some opening stuff)
Removing the second LH finger can give a Bb.
Sometimes with adjustments (like removing 3rd RH finger)
Cool, I'll have to try those. Are they good for alto and tenor?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Not really: A is half open (Bis is closed)

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
A common problem found on saxophones is that the long lever for the G touch gets bent down by the player using too much finger pressure (gorilla grip). On some models, adding a buffering material between the arm and the key below it limits the travel and the bending. It also can act as a silencer if the key cup comes up far enough to hit the G lever.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
But RH1 keeps bis fully closed.
I stand corrected: you are absolutely right.
I cannot think of any altissimo fingering involving that key staying half open (but I only know a limited amount of fingerings)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Altissimo. Got it. Very high Bb.
My old set up wouldn't accommodate altissimo. With my new set up, I've only just got my chops round G. Time to try A. I might live long enough to get proficient up there.

Top Bottom