support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

"Fuming"

Bude Bill

I thought I was being a good citizen when I bought a T-shirt and Mug from CafePress, assuming that at least some of the money was going to Pete's charity.

The goods were expensive enough for what I bought (£40) but now I have just been delivered a note that says I can't have the goods until I have paid £12.05 customs charge.

There is'nt an address for the Customs & Excise people only the Post Office, and we all know how helpful they are.

Be careful people. How do the C&E make up these charges anyway?

What?

That is scandalous. I had no idea that happened.

I'm sure there is no way round this, the Post Office have to accept that payment (which is VAT, customs duty and a handling fee probably).

I will put a warning on the store.

Final word

Have now retrieved the parcel, as was suggested £4.05 was VAT.

However £8 was down to International Royal Mail handling charge.
When queried I was told that not enough postage had been paid by the sender.

Also I note that the parcel came by way of the Deutche Post, and I could not find a single stamp or any indication of postage being paid by anyone. Seems a long way round to get here.

That is scandalous. I'm already considering closing down the cafepress shop because of this. It's very misleading when they have a .co.uk site, but then send internationally so you incur VAT.

The problem is I don't get the money from them until it has reached a certain amount. Well I probably could if I argued.

Anyway am looking into an alternative.

Last edited:
If that is so, then the sender should, IMO, bear at least some of that charge.

I presume that you paid the shipping charge requested, so it's not down to you if they got it wrong.

DeutchePost seems to own a fair proportion of the postal services, including, I believe, Correos here in Spain!

Oops!!

Hope I have'nt caused a commercial row, however if you could get the same goods in UK, of the same quality it would obviously be an advantage to everyone and you would get the monet quicker.

Must admit I did'nt see any additional postage requested when I ordered.

The quality of the T-shirt is very good, the mug is made in China(the country) so I suppose they can be obtained anywhere.

Whilst not current with my knowledge (spent 20 years in shipping), in round figures you will be allowed a value up to £30 without import charges, thereafter it will incur duty plus VAT (on the landed value inc duty); the variable is that within the Royal Mail system is an individual who may choose to let through - this is how some people 'get away' with it & others dont... additionaly I believe the guys are origin specific as I have received dozens of packages from the far east without charge, but virtually always get a bill from the States.

The worst of it is the RM clearance charges & having to go the sorting office!!
I believe that the postage was pair correctly, you having been charged VAT and clearance/admin...

Sorry this won't help - just hope you like & enjoy your items!

Hope I have'nt caused a commercial row, however if you could get the same goods in UK, of the same quality it would obviously be an advantage to everyone

Unless they are in the U.S. !

and you would get the monet quicker.

Well, I have started a small art collection, but that is slightly too ambitious for me at the moment!

Whilst not current with my knowledge (spent 20 years in shipping), in round figures you will be allowed a value up to £30 without import charges, thereafter it will incur duty plus VAT (on the landed value inc duty); the variable is that within the Royal Mail system is an individual who may choose to let through - this is how some people 'get away' with it & others dont... additionaly I believe the guys are origin specific as I have received dozens of packages from the far east without charge, but virtually always get a bill from the States.

The worst of it is the RM clearance charges & having to go the sorting office!!
I believe that the postage was pair correctly, you having been charged VAT and clearance/admin...

Sorry this won't help - just hope you like & enjoy your items!

Just to add to the "some may get away with it". I got some breakfastroom stuff from them a few months ago without customs or postage problems.

Cheers !!!

Thanks c9off, I'm sure thats not your real name otherwise you'd be in Star Wars.

What you say is exactly as it has panned out, I'm beatng my head off a brick wall to try anymore. But it does seem as though some random ratbag at RM decided it was good to put a charge on my parcel.

The VAT I can understand. I think we better let it rest there.

Cheers !!!

Thanks c9off, I'm sure that is not your real name or else you would be in Star Wars.

You described exactly how it has panned out. I will be banging my head off a brick wall trying anymore. It seems to have been down to some ratbag at RM deciding to put a charge on my parcel.

Don't mind the VAT thats expected.

Better call an end to this now, seems like the Cafepress people are fairly blameless.

Hi Bill

Oddly enough I received an email from a pal bemoaning a £13.50 charge by Parcel Force for a VAT amount of £4.47!!! So thought a little more fact might be appropriate:

http://tiny.cc/4AoZl

"Royal Mail, Parcelforce Worldwide and Fast Parcel Operators may charge you for processing your package through Customs. These charges are normally collected together with any duty/taxes on delivery but they are not Customs duties.

If you buy goods online from a country outside the European Union, for instance the USA, Canada, China, Australia
You will be charged:

Customs duty if the amount of duty is €10 (£7) or over
Import VAT if the value of the goods is €22 (£18) and over "

Although not noted on that page, I am sure that there is a under £30 rule applied... which may also be "gift" related...

cheers
Geoff

May the force be with you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Also I note that the parcel came by way of the Deutche Post, and I could not find a single stamp or any indication of postage being paid by anyone. Seems a long way round to get here.

I contacted Cafepress, finally their fourth email addressed the issue:

Dear Pete,

I am sorry the postal service listed it this way. However, they do this by mistake sometimes when it really is concerning customs and vat charges. Also, we are unsure of when the postal service may charge these, or may charge extra handling cost. However, when Economy shipping is chosen customs and import charges may occur as this is determined by your country. I hope this information helps.

If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.

Best Regards,

Jennifer S.
CafePress.com Support Representative
(877) 809-1659 Special Holiday Hours
(Monday - Saturday 7:00 AM- 12:00 AM; Sunday 11 AM- 9PM EST)
UK Support 0800 073 1484 (9:00 AM- 9:00 PM Monday - Friday)
(402) 517-4480 Local/International
www.cafepress.com

Re-CafePress reply

Pete:- Thanks for the work you have done regarding the random charges. I don't think there is anymore to say on the subject.

Just to put the lid on it, I dropped the mug in the sink and broke it, I shouldn't be allowed out.

Bill