support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

SOLD FS Selmer Reference 54 Tenor sax

Fraser Jarvis

Howdy folks, just tried advertizing this in the yard sale but couldent. Anyway am selling my Selmer Reference 54 tenor sax, it's in the vintage matt finish, probably about 12 years old but in mint condition apart from a few minor scuffs on the inside of the bell, recently set up by Paul Carrington, plays real strong from top to bottom.

Am looking for £3200 with a donation of £150?? made to the forum fund if it sell's on here. It's also on the Splitters band page on fb, if it goes on there 5% goes to Leicestershire & Rutland air ambulance and another 5% goes to Rainbows Childrens Hospice.

Obviously 3 something grand is a lot to cough up for a sax on the off chance it may or may not be for you so i would encourage any interested peeps to come to play it first, pay me and take it away, but please no tire kickers!

Oh and heres a clip of it working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0l7qGqoHv8

Ok, this great sax is still for sale i think i must have been a bit optimistic with the original price so how about £2450. (£5150 new!)

Come on you lot, this is a great sax that is ready to gig with absolutely no issues whatsoever, just think you could buy mine and John's alto and have a great doublers set up! here's some pictures to wet your appetite, and yes the hot tub is mine so if you come to buy i may let you try that as well!

Attachments

• selmer 1.JPG
    selmer 1.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 214
  • selmer 3.JPG
    selmer 3.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 424
  • selmer 5.JPG
    selmer 5.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 339
Tempting, tempting ...

Is that the plain matte finish or the old, antiqued looking one that they used when the Ref. 54 was launched ?

Rhys

Tempting, tempting ...

Is that the plain matte finish or the old, antiqued looking one that they used when the Ref. 54 was launched ?

Rhys
Interesting Rhys, as i didn't realise that they did two versions, although i bought a new neck "just in case" from a member here and although it was the matte finish it was dull and chalky looking, i just thought that was how mine would have looked when new.

No mine is an early example and the antique finish has a kind of deep goldy sheen to it. I also have the original receipt from when it was bought new by the previous owner from Allegro in Oxford dated 23.03.02.

Thanks for that - I really like the matte finish but have an irrational hatred for all the fake antique finishes.

Good luck.

Rhys

• Agree
Reactions: Ads
As i've said elsewere, anyone interested is more than welcome to come along and try it, no obligation.

Here's a few more pictures if anyone is interested:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 193
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 199
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 189
Not to sure what went wrong there but anyway a few close ups for anyone that's interested.

I'm not desperate for the money and i have to say not overly desperate to sell the sax, if it sells it sells if not i'm not to worried so please don't insult me by making rediculous offers like the one i had the other day for £1650, it is what it is, a genuine and honest instrument for a genuine and honest price, thanks...

Fraser...........your inbox is full......I may have someone who could be interested. Please post all of the photos in one place and I shall pass to him. PM me if you like and let me know what price you want please.

Ok, had the sax on ebay a couple of times, quite a bit of interest but no bids, am guessing that as i specified pick up only rather than postage this may well have put people off, have relisted it but this time specified postage but i'm still a bit reluctant as iv'e never sent something of that value through the post, anyone got any experience of sending big dollar sax's either by post office or by courier?? whats the best cource of action? thanks.

I use UPS via Interparcel ..

I make sure the sax can`t move in the case using thin bubblewrap and that accessories are in a bag so can`t come loose , then wrap the case in bubble wrap , make a box big enough from two to take the whole thing with a good few inches alround for packing peanuts, spare bubble wrap, air pillows, Shredder paper in bags , Expanded polystyrene broken up or whatever you can get your hands on .

for instance to send the C-Melody to Amanda, I used an extended laser printer box and utilized the four long polystyrene holders for it broken into 8 corners , made the box fit these when on the case , very professional looking but you can use anything which takes impact to fill the gaps such as the stuff mentioned above .. on a Tenor of that value, I`d siggest wedging the bell keys down with cork or Whatever , OK on smaller saxes .

I got a Tenors to Austria and Spain in one piece like that :) .

Get them to send a courier. Also sold as seen. And....caveat emptor...their choice if they want it posted

Hmm, bit of a minefield, Post office want £121.00 DHL want £90 (both insured to £2500) Interparcel only insure up to the value of £1000, so looks like DHL, but i have to take to the airport to get the full insurance with the box open so they can inspect the contence for "security" reasons! what a faff!! think i'll do as you sugest prof.

It isn't difficult to arrange a courier for a pickup. Just don't forget to charge the customer for wrapping/boxing.

I`d hate to send anything of that value abroad (in fact Wouldn`t ) - sending a Bauhaus to Austria was both a doddle and inexpensive in comparison (Interparcel) ..

I`d make them pay the extra £30 for the post office - saves the hassle of re-boxing at a busy airport and you having to take it to begin with

Back
Top Bottom