Frustrating

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Thanks for the various comments and suggestions. I'll reply more fully later, got orchestra rehearsal to head to now with my cello. I have a sneaky feeling the other two cellists are away, Dvorak 8 anyone?

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
On the plus side, bassists make the best lovers and the better you play, the better you, er, play.

This is a scientific fact. :thumb:

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
OK this evening was rather soloistic, there was me and one other who doesn't often come along on cello. The Suppé overture has a page of cello solo... then the Dvorak 8 has a lot of solo-ish cello stuff in it, going up to top E (same pitch as violin E string i.e. top space on the treble clef)...

OK as promised, more considered response...

I was exceedingly grumpy yesterday, partly internet and mobi issues, partly work pain, and partly band pain. Some of the points made by various people in this thread are I think very valid. Bit of history of this group: it was formed about 50 years ago I suspect as a dance band. The conductor/founder passed away years ago (I think decades ago - at least 20 years ago). As people moved away or dropped off this mortal coil, they were not replaced. Over the last couple of years, some new people have come along and they want to move it on. They want new people, fill the gaps, get a leader etc. There is immense resistance from the two original members left (both in their mid 80s) one in particular suffers from the 'not invented here' syndrome.

Whilst I understand the desire to not give offence, the flip side is the band is going nowhere. I was asked to join specifically to play T2. There's no doubt it's a challenge for me as it's a lot of sight-reading, but to be fair, my sight-reading is reasonable, so it's doable. There is no proper rehearsing because the old guys aren't interested: for them it's get out of the house, play a few tunes, and remember the old days. It's untenable as people are not going to hang around.

I was persuaded to play bass the last couple of weeks. Now I am the first to hold my hand up and say I am inexperienced at that and not yet capable of much. I was unimpressed when old guy #1 (he picks the playlist) selects items with no bass parts (long lost). This leaves me thumb-twiddling, and later converting bari parts by pretending they're in bass clef. The challenge is accidentals when it's in G and you're pretending it's in Bb...

Logisitcs wise, it costs me 80 miles: 34 miles home from work, then 46 miles round trip to rehearsal - about 90 minutes for the 46 miles, home about 11pm.

The stress and duress of playing bass was too much and I'm not going to do that again. The rehearsals are too dysfunctional for me - they need directing and to be honest, they would run better if I directed them (not being big-headed, just being factual - someone with two brain cells working stood at the front would improve things). You don't improve by playing through twice without a purpsoe and direction.

So, I think much as I have wanted to play in this type of band, it's going to have to wait and I think I will move on for the time being.

:(

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Rebel I say !!
Take control of the band and tell the two arl codgers they've had their time and it's time they took a back seat...>:)

If you need a hand give us a shout ;)

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
That seems like a well-reasoned decision. From your description, the band will not change until the codgers leave unless there is an serious row, and music as a hobby is supposed to be fun. Might be worth keeping in touch with one or two of the new members so you will hear if things improve.

I can't imagine an amateur band without a conductor. Ours is a professional jazz musician, and we would be lost without him. It's not the arm waving that matters - the rhythm section can take care of the beat - it's the organisation of the rehearsals so that we learn and improve.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
The older I get, the less tolerance I have for playing in a group that is not musically satisfying. Just last night I played a two hour rehearsal with a band that asked me to replace their bari player who left for health reasons.
Having directed bands for over 30 years where my job was to stop the music and fix problems when I heard them and to pick music that works well with a particular group, it is frustrating to just play my part and keep my mouth shut. Driving home I decided that I don't need that source of aggravation, since I already play in two other bands that provide a positive musical experience.

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
I have now resigned from the group. Hopefully they'll sort themselves out sometime. Whilst I'm not that old (56) I am old enough to have learnt some lessons from my younger days and one of those is not to waste time on something which is goign nowhere. If we ever meet up over a beer / gin / wine / beverage of choice and you're bored, I can regale you with tales of a misspent youth, 22 years, and an astronomical society...

Fortunately, it doesn't now take me 22 years to work out things are not quite right.

I am also going to drop the fortnightly Friday evening orchestra in Chester, as I need more 'me' time.

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
Minor update... I have now dropped the Chester orchestra as stated too. Hopefully, this will make life a little more balanced as it had become too hectic. I now have Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays free. Tuesdays alternate between sax lesson and band, Thursday orchestra, Sundays fornightly Birmingham orchestra (afternoon) and fortnightly wind band (evenings).

Maybe I've had an effect on the big band, as they are trialling a conductor next week... Undirected sessions, where there is no programme, no focus on a set of pieces, just random playing of a few pieces from week to week from a 300 piece pad is pointless.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
It's all about balance :)

Hope you can start to enjoy your music again, don't forget monthly Septet :)

Jx

Eoe

I came off the road one time. I could not hear the music my solos were the same just technical gymnastics no feeling. My son was verry young we went fishing one day and three years later we were still fishing. Had not even listen to music for those three years. A church talked me into playing bass and I found out it was like riding a bicycle. But I liked spending time with my son so I really did not jump back into Music. I'm back now and Papa has a Brand New Bag.

Alice

Psychedelic
Locality
Kent
So was Prof when he disappeared.
Was he really?! Well this is all getting very suspicious! Come to think of it, that latest bag of compost looked a bit like Prof... His image will be appearing on a piece of burnt toast next.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
Was he really?! Well this is all getting very suspicious! Come to think of it, that latest bag of compost looked a bit like Prof... His image will be appearing on a piece of burnt toast next.
Well I'm not eating it for breakfast, I either want mine lightly browned or I'll have a crumpet smeared with honey again.