support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

From wet & windy ohh now sunny, nah back to rain again Cumbria

sparkinwheels

Hi All,
Just joined, Thank you for putting up this UK based resource for Sax.

I have only recently discovered the pleasure of learning and playing (use the phrase playing very loosely) the Sax.

Very nice local music shop ownerat Billy Bowman gave me a full hour lesson in the shop to get me going and I now rent a Ekhart Alto from him. I have enjoyed the challenge but am getting an urge to move on to a tenor as I like the deeper tones of the tenor.

I am medically retired from my previous career due to an injury leaving me somewhat less mobile shall we say. I am old school and believe in social values so chose a new career where my disability was not a bar to pursuing it. So I am now a Hypnotherapist in West Cumbria.

Thats my potted history, so if you've not fallen to sleep by now may I say thank you for reading.
John

Wow, you guys are quick. (in more ways than one) lol.

Any opinions of comparison between a G4M Tenor and a SMS SXT 2GS TENOR? I'm looking at these 2 as possible purchases for a start into the world of Tenor sax.

Any constructive help is welcome, (I'm destructive enough right now so don't really need help in that department, lol).

Thx

Hey Hey sparkinwheels ...

Nice to meet you mate ...

*Sunray waves from Norfolk*

There are quite a few here [not me though - ;}] who could do with some help from you ...

Using your Hypnotherapy Skills:

Can you cure some of these poor wretches of GAS - [Gear Acquisition Syndrome] ... :)))

On a serious note: A Tenor Sax is both larger and heavier than the Alto ...

Which in turn can be a little more awkward to play the Tenor while sitting and can also place more strain on a players neck [and maybe their back] ...

Be sure to try one or two before you buy mate ... :mrcool

But go for it sparkinwheels - you'll love it mate ... :sax:

Cheers :cheers:

Hi and welcome.

I bought a G4M Rosedale sax as my first tenor a few months back. I'm happy with it. It feels more solid and robust than their basic range tenor. Had to replace a couple of corks early on but since then no problems and I like the sound I'm getting out of it and intonation seems pretty good (for a saxophone >:)). On the other hand, for about £200 more (which I didn't really want to spend at the time) I could have got a Bahaus-Walstein, which have a very good reputation. Don't know anything about SMS.

Welcome to the cafe sparky (John) :D plenty of helpful advice on here, but don't give up on the alto so quickly :sax:i was tempted to buy a tenor a few months back, but fought of the GAS (sort of) and got another alto :w00t: maybe next year i'll have a go at tenor.

Be strong stay with alto :)))

Hi and welcome form me too.

I can't give you any advice re saxophones I'm afraid as I am new to the sax myself and chose to jump in with a soprano:D

;}A word of caution tho, you have to watch some of the members of this cafe >:)

Jx

Hi John, and welcome aboard. My advice would be to stick with the alto for now, and read the forum posts past and present. You will be surprised how much you will learn, just from doing this ;}

John.

Greatly appreciate all your comments, very wise and useful, thank you.

With regard to the early comment on GAS, I have seen all too often in recreational pursuits where the bug of buying/acquiring often become the focus within the hobby/sport/interest to the exclusion of actually enjoying/doing what it is supposed to be about.
In other words it does become an addiction one which can be overcome with help, such as Hypnotherapy to get the focus back to the real purpose in hand. I have used self hypnosis to increase my ability to concentrate and to increase my ability to learn to read music.

Phew quite a lot of typing there, I can get a little long winded (good for playing) sometimes.

Thx
John

Hi John!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Saxophone from the SkabertaweHorn Section down by yer in Wales, mind..........! Unlike KevvyG I have never played a "Teno", but play soprano, alto and tenor sax, with Alto my main axe. I tend to like them to play quite different musical styles.

On soprano I love contemporary jazz, medieval & folk song based improvisation. On Alto I play more funk and modern jazz. On Tenor I play more soulful or blues based music, and 50 - 60's based jazz. Do follow your first instincts, as too many people imagine that Alto is almost a beginners instrument - no more than tenor, particularly if you're an adult. There are some very good value instruments out there, and both BW and John Packer are regular recommendations - used are also very good value.

Anyway, always get a decent mouthpiece as it will make all the difference soundwise.

I hope you enjoy being part of the Forum and do keep us informed of your progress, whatever sax you end up playing.

Kind regards
Tom

Hi John!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Saxophone from the SkabertaweHorn Section down by yer in Wales, mind..........! Unlike KevvyG I have never played a "Teno", but play soprano, alto and tenor sax, with Alto my main axe. I tend to like them to play quite different musical styles.

Anyway, always get a decent mouthpiece as it will make all the difference soundwise.

Kind regards
Tom

Tom, how did you manage to restrain yourself ;}

Joking aside, Tom's absolutely right. Mouthpieces and you, have a huge effect on the sound you produce.

Hi john and welcome!

I too am a beginner and also started on alto but later changed to tenor as i too prefer the deeper tone; as previous advice suggests, follow the threads on here and you will learn a lot and make many new friends, its a very welcoming and informative site.

Amanda

Hi Sparkinwheels, has someone stolen your tyres? I tried self hypnoses once, only trouble is every time I see the post man I start barking, I've no idea what went wrong!
Welcome to the very sensible cafe saxophone.

Arrf Arrf, bit the postman once, well not quite.

I must admit having read through the advice before joining up I acknowledge that '' the mouth piece is the foundation for the sound'' as per the old saying ''rubbish in, rubbish out''. So as I had the most basic secondhand 'mp' that came with this 2nd hand Elkhart' I found a sensibly priced Yamaha 4c which arrived today and when I tried it out my missus came in the room and said 'you're doing really well it sounds really good today' (with her shift work I'd not had chance to tell her that I changed to this different MP).

I've had this sax for 2 weeks by this Saturday. Had a lesson last week with another arranged for next Tuesday.

Puff the magic dragon and the 'Hovis song' are well under my belt now (so to speak) and started on 'all the saints last night'.

Onwards & upwards
john

Back
Top Bottom