Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Welsh roots=leeks, a common interest!

sushidushi

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
In the otherwise dreadful city I have the misfortune to live in (Brampton, Ontario) there is a series of free concerts in the park during the summer. One of the bands this year and last was a Dixieland jazz group. They were excellent, especially the trombonist, whose name I didn't catch.

Er, welcome to the café. It's full of good people.

Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Dixieland jazz is great fun to play and the trumpet, clarinet, trombone combination interweaving their distinctive voices is a fine place to improvise collectively. For me, alto and tenor sax dont fit so well in trad jazz but soprano and clarinet are virtually interchangeable. It's good to know this historic music form still cuts the ice for another forum member.

Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Thanks Tom, glad to have joined. Would you consider playing Dixie on any other instrument or is it just too ghastly for you?

Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Thanks for the welcome, Old Git but I cant let your quote about jazz greats dying young pass unremarked. I've seen Pharoah Sanders, Sonny Rollins and others staggering around blowing up a storm as they approach their dotage. Chris Barber still gigged and recorded in his 80's! There's hope for us all, am quite old myself, as gits go. Hang on in their Gramps, let music soothe the furrowed face. I did a gig at Crystal Palace years ago on bass guitar. When the band took a break I put my instrument down on the other side of the stage and my lead somehow picked up the nearby TV transmitter which was broadcasting Come Dancing. I cranked up the amp and the punters carried on dancing though some were puzzled by voices telling how many sequins were attached to Norma's little pink gown!

Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Hi to you Tom from another fan of the great Eric. I looked on Ebay today, flirting with the idea of getting a bass clarinet. Only one on sale and costing a fortune. Heard Courtney Pine on the radio saying he hadn't touched sax for years until recently, but had been playing bass clarinet.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
For me, alto and tenor sax dont fit so well in trad jazz

It is C melody time!

Hi to you Tom from another fan of the great Eric. I looked on Ebay today, flirting with the idea of getting a bass clarinet. Only one on sale and costing a fortune. Heard Courtney Pine on the radio saying he hadn't touched sax for years until recently, but had been playing bass clarinet.

You can get a Vito or a Bundy for a very reasonable amount (£500-700).

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
In the otherwise dreadful city I have the misfortune to live in (Brampton, Ontario) there is a series of free concerts in the park during the summer. One of the bands this year and last was a Dixieland jazz group. They were excellent, especially the trombonist, whose name I didn't catch.

Er, welcome to the café. It's full of good people.

What's
Brampton_pano_with_Rose_Theatre.jpg
not to like?

B

Bigtwin

Dreadful mix of architectural genres?

Don't argue on this, I've been to Guildford.

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Dreadful mix of architectural genres?

Don't argue on this, I've been to Guildford.

I'll see your Guildford and raise you Basingstoke

B

Bigtwin

Swine! I'm going to have to hit you with a Woking!

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Now that we're fighting dirty

Your Woking is but a feeble parry to my uppercut of Telford

sushidushi

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
Stop it, boys, before I drag in Letchworth Garden City.

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Now it's a three way fight...time to bring in some Northern muscle

Hartlepool

B

Bigtwin

You utter, utter, unspeakable cad. De-Preston. There. I'm sorry, but you left me no option.

saxman80

saxman80

Locality
Canterbury,Kent.
Hi, and a big welcome to the cafe.:thumb:

Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK