All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

From slide to keys

Reed Warbler

Hello, I play trombone in a french trad band, 64 Dixie, the only anglais in the group. My musical journey began with a plastic ukelele at age 9, followed by guitar and a few weeks of clarinet. My dad bought me a trombone when I was 11 and I tried to emulate Chris Barber who was a big name at the time (1957). I learned 3 scales from a teacher then continued playing by ear. Had the very good fortune of joining a traditional jazz band of older blokes and we gigged at dances and pubs, even played for prime minister Macmillan when I was just 13. Everyone was learning to play 3 chords but the jazz repertoire took me way beyond. The chord sequence to Who's Sorry Now was a lot more educational than Hound Dog!
At 15 I joined the army as a boy soldier musician. Trombone was my horn but I had a go on most instruments and learned the basic fingerings for valves and keys. By 17 I had had enough and bought my way out. Traded trombone for a guitar and hitched around Europe, playing in Germany and Holland. Went on to bass guitar and stuck with it for years doing jazz, night clubs, jingles, prog rock, the musical Hair, you name it. Had an alto for a few months but sold it on. Eventually got another trombone then moved to France to teach art.
In France I've played 'bone with a couple of trad bands and with a splendid 19 piece free jazz orchestra EPO.
Recently a friend asked what would be a good instrument to start out on. I told him I knew enough to direct his fingers to the right places on a sax. He bought a tenor, I had a blow on it and was instantly hooked. I bought a real cheapie myself, to be sure I wanted to go down this road, then traded up to a funky old 1959 King Cleveland which I find hard to put down!
Amazed to find how important mouthpiece and reed are. Am currently blowing an old Otto Link 7* with a 2 1/2 Van Doren V16 reed and loving the sound. A buddy leant me 3 m/pcs to try, and this is the winner. I practice with a few Jamey Aebersold playalongs, the Cannonball Adderly one is my favourite though it's fiercely fast. Cannonball was always a god to me, warm, fluid and soulful. I use a metronome app on my iPad to help build up speed. Play something right five times before increasing the tempo: that's good advice.
So now I still play Dixie with the band on 'bone and enjoy it but the tenor is my new passion. I think all the years of trombone gave me the chops to make rapid progress on sax, in terms of sound, from low Bb to high F#, the muscles were already there. Now it's a matter of getting fingers to do what they're told. Sometimes they seem to have a life of their own! Altissimo can wait a while...
I've consulted CafeSax many times, like it a lot and today took the plunge to become part of it. Good to meet you, ladies and gentlemen.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome!

Wow, that's some musical background. Sounds like you're making great progress - look forward to hearing more.

Cheers,

Amanda

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
One of the best intros we'Ve had. Big welcome from me. Have fun and join in!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Oh no, not another Bone fan, just wait for Old Tom to come along and bend your "bone" ear! A big welcome to the cafe, I eagerly await your tails of smokey jazz clubs and seedy gin joints! (The only joints worth mentioning before OG starts on his tails of Cod liver oil tabs!)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe. It is never too late to start complaining about reeds.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe, sounds like you are already enjoying your sax journey:)

Jx

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff© Reed Warbler.

Just got the lump of plastic and found I could still do a poor impression of Jay and Kai's Whiffenpoof, fifty or more years years after giving away my crap Selmer Sterling. There is something about having to do everything yourself.

ENJOY!​™

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Just got the lump of plastic and found I could still do a poor impression of Jay and Kai's Whiffenpoof, fifty or more years years after giving away my crap Selmer Sterling. There is something about having to do everything yourself.
Both Jay and Kai? MPD?

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Oh no, not another Bone fan, just wait for Old Tom to come along and bend your "bone" ear! A big welcome to the cafe, I eagerly await your tails of smokey jazz clubs and seedy gin joints! (The only joints worth mentioning before OG starts on his tails of Cod liver oil tabs!)
I do like the "Bone" but will never ever play Dixie on it, even for a bet! This was my inspiration for playing trombone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwU9fAYwpQ

Seriously, a Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Funksters, down by yer in South Wales, mind!
Lovely introduction, and glad to have you on board.
Kind regards

(Old) Tom:thumb:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Oh Tom,
The OP talked of playing in a Trad band not Dixie. You really should learn the difference between the genres.

navarro

Hello and welcome, do they still send French onion sellers over to the UK dressed in stripy jumpers with a bicycle. I`d like to pre order.:) regds.N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Hello and welcome, do they still send French onion sellers over to the UK dressed in stripy jumpers with a bicycle. I`d like to pre order.:) regds.N.
Actually... Yes. There is one in Marylebone, on Sundays.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom