All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

frist gig

tommy

Hi all i have been ask to play at a friends party he's ask me to do 3to 4 tunes but I have never played to a group people so me arse has gone a bit.I know I can play the tunes but can't decide to use tenor or alto i'm more use to the alto but decision :w00t: I have till friday lol any help will do:thankyou::)))

jazzdoh

Go with what you are most comfortable with,its normal that you will get some nerves,in fact it can a help,means you will concentrate and focus more.

Best of luck

Brian

Taz

Busking Oracle
Tommy, as Brian said, use the sax that you feel most comfortable with. I used to find that looking at the floor helped me but didn't look to cool. That's why sax players wear shades! If you dress like a sax player, you'll feel the part. If you've got the shades on then you can stare at anyone you want (either a pretty lass, or someone that looks like their really enjoying your playing) it'll boost your confidence no end.
MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Tommy Ive done quite a few solo gigs, i generally go for the tenor but as others have said, use which ever one you feel most comfortable with.
as for nerves if its a friends party just relax, imagine that you a just practicing and have fun.(Taz's shades tip is a good one also)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
This is a great chance! Second what's been said above, just don't try to read the dots with shades on....

On the few times I've played in public, concentrating on the music/sounds helps me a lot. I can switch the audience off, and like Taz said, watching/being aware of people getting off on your playing helps a lot!!!! Just don't be surprised when it happens.

Pick stuff you're comfortable with, that means something to you - AND that the audience can get into. Blues, rock, mainstream jazz... Something with a good beat.

Sunray

Cool Party ...

Hey Hey Tommy ...

Have a ball mate ... :mrcool

It may help to have an extra couple of tunes up your sleeve ... :sax:

So your not caught out when all the party goers scream - More Tommy More ... :sax:

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Tommy

Why not show the audience your versatility and use both ( obviously not at the same time ) lol :) good luck and keep us updated :)

MartinL

Hi Tommy

Why not show the audience your versatility and use both ( obviously not at the same time ) lol :) good luck and keep us updated :)
My first gig was at the Prince of Wales Theater in Cannock, I remember the nerves well but once it starts and you concentrate on your dots then the audience no longer matter, you just don't think of them...
The build up is part of the fun and once its over you will be built up and ready for the next one, Enjoy :))

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
All of the above plus relax and enjoy yourself. Hope you have a ball. You will be buzzing at the end of your set

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom