support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Fridays mess about.Run,Leona Lewis

I think this is better, but it's still not quite right. If you listen to the guitar lines that you're playing against at times the soundscape placement makes it seem like he's closer to the microphone and you're in the background. This could be due to two factors, volume and the amount of reverb you're giving yourself. Your sound is too far back behind what should be the background.

The next track on soundcloud gives a much better example of being at the right placement in the soundscape. All the instruments have the same degree of reverb and the sax sounds at the right placement in the soundscape as the primary (melodic) instrument.

It's easy with your fine playing to not be listening to the sound engineering, which is a completely different exercise with its own technical demands for maximizing what is ultimately heard.

I think this is better, but it's still not quite right. If you listen to the guitar lines that you're playing against at times the soundscape placement makes it seem like he's closer to the microphone and you're in the background. This could be due to two factors, volume and the amount of reverb you're giving yourself. Your sound is too far back behind what should be the background.

The next track on soundcloud gives a much better example of being at the right placement in the soundscape. All the instruments have the same degree of reverb and the sax sounds at the right placement in the soundscape as the primary (melodic) instrument.

It's easy with your fine playing to not be listening to the sound engineering, which is a completely different exercise with its own technical demands for maximizing what is ultimately heard.

It will be a long learning curve but still for less than a week in the modern world i guess it can only get better ,i hope.The effects is the key to getting to grips with the mix i think.

Yes but that track was in a good recording studio.Plus i'm finding trying to get a good blend,sound along side with cheap karaoke backing tracks a struggle.Audacitys Gverb is not that great also.I wish it had knobs you can turn like other sofrtware and hear the mix as you turn but its just click and hope,preview and then start again.Slows things right up.

Davey, why don't you try "Reaper" you can have a full demo version for 30 days... If you like it. The cost is not very much..As for backing tracks check out my sig.

Chris..

Davey, why don't you try "Reaper" you can have a full demo version for 30 days... If you like it. The cost is not very much..As for backing tracks check out my sig.

Chris..

Heard thats good.I also just got Wavelab le 7 and cubase le.Been checking out the wavelab.

Messing about with mic placement and had better results.Slowy getting a better mix.Still it will be never ending but better sound result.Dawn track uploaded.

Hi Davey, it is sounding better. I still hear the sax as being seperate from the backing though. Perhaps some reverb on the sax track to match the backing.. It all depends on why you want to record yourself..

Chris...

Hi Davey, it is sounding better. I still hear the sax as being seperate from the backing though. Perhaps some reverb on the sax track to match the backing.. It all depends on why you want to record yourself..

Chris...

Some verb on.Been trying all settings today.Will keep plodding on.Its still rather hard though to match recording studio sounds on sax though and lets remember most of your top sax guys have a few rack mounts of very very expensive effects all tweaked to there liking.I have my eye on something in the future.I saw the tech list of Courtney Pines Effect,sound stuff and wow theres alot.

No more Run track now.It sounded crap.Needs done again with what i learned today mixing.Put a new blow on a full version of Lily was here up.A little nicer mix.I think,i hope !!!! No way finished but slowy better.Dont judge the playing just the mix,be kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davey, that's going in the right direction.

Chris..

Right i've done 3 final tweaks on the 3 tracks i done this week,Lily,Run and Till dawn.No more on these.Moving on new songs so for who can remember a few days back at these tracks (very ruff mix) i want your thoughts on my final mix.I for 1 am pretty happy in todays final out come.Of course theres loads could be better but for less than a week i'm ok with these.As for playing on these replayed tracks i've kept it not to busy flying about and there chilled songs so play what suits them and spent more time doing my head in mixing.And i think i've got pretty close to having a blend between the backing track and horn.Its never going to be a true blend as the backing track is a 1 mix job lot.

Hi Davey, you're a quick learner. They sound fine now, the next time you mix something, once you think it's Ok. Go away and sleep on it and come back wiith fresh ears, it always helps..

Chris...

Hi Davey, you're a quick learner. They sound fine now, the next time you mix something, once you think it's Ok. Go away and sleep on it and come back wiith fresh ears, it always helps..

Chris...

The only way is up !!!!!!!

Darned good! Huge improvement. Sounds pro now!

Yea the big floppy lump of flesh on top of my neck:headscratch: is starting to get to grips with the modern world !!!!!!!!!!!!
On a roll now.I just done another track tonight, Georgia.i'm happy with the tenor sound i got on it.Not bad for a few minutes blow and mixed in 15 minutes.No stopping me now.:w00t:

Sounding good Davey. Working hard lad. The beginning of the Georgia track sounds like "From Russia with love"
The tenor's sounding immense!
Andy

Good work Davey, that PPT sounds like a killer piece..

Chris...