Tutorials

Free reeds from Internet reeds

I was just browsing in the caff and this ad popped up for a mob called internet reeds. Well, I snuck (Americanisms sneak in) over and looked. On offer 2 new free reeds to try. My order is already in. I thought that all my friends in the caff would also like a couple of free reeds so surf (I'm at it again) on over and blow for free.

Fredso

Thanks for the heads up on that. With the prices they are charging it'll be interesting to see what the quality of the reeds is. My order is also now in place.;}

Chris98

Hi Tenorsaxman,

Thanks, I've ordered a 2.5 alto and 2.5 Tenor reed to try, having never come across Internet Reeds before I'm interested to see what they are like.

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris98

My two reeds have just arrived, I'm all blown out at the moment having just had an hours lesson but will give the tenor reed a blow later on today.

The reeds are file cut and the tenor reed is about 4mm shorter than a Rico Jazz Select, it also looks about 0.5mm shorter width wise at the tip, so lining up might need to be a bit more accurate.

All the best,

Chris

Chris98

I've just tried the tenor reed, I'm guessing that it's cut for 'classical' more than 'jazz', the 2.5 reed is like trying to blow a floorboard not at all like the RJS 2M or Java 2.5 I've grown accustomed to.

It's possible that I got a particularly stiff reed but first impressions suggest I'll not be changing my allegiance just yet, which is a shame considering the service and price they are able to offer.

It'll be interesting to hear how others get on with them,

Best wishes,

Chris

saxnik

OK, so my two tenor 3's have arrived, the next day - 10/10 for service indeed.

They fit fine on my Link and Larsen mouthpieces (both metal) and blow the same, and pretty well, though I agree that they're a bit
like trying to blow a floorboard
- stronger resistance than I expected. I normally blow LaVoz Medium Hard (which are somewhere between Vandoren 2.5 and 3), and these are quite a bit stronger. One reed looked perfect, the other seemed to have a slightly non-parallel grain, though it didn't seem to make any difference to the way it played.

I tried the reeds on a gig on Saturday but midway through the first set had to admit defeat since they were too strong for me to play the way I wanted to. I guess that probably a 2.5 might be OK, but of course I'll have to pay for some to see. If you're considering an order, I reckon given the posts here you should try reeds one thickness below your usual!

So in summary, nothing bad to report, consistent as far as one can tell from two reeds, and certainly value for money - would definitely recommend them for beginners since they're half the usual price at the present time. The cynic in me suspects that the current price is a loss-leading promotion and that the company will eventually look to up it once they have all our addresses..!

Cheers,
Nick

MartinL

I had a 2 and a 2.5, I'm usually playing with a 2.5 these days (Alto) I thought the sound was clean and nice but boy did i struggle to blow them, even the 2. Switching back to the Vandoran was such a pleasure.

I really wanted to be positive about them but in truth I doubt I will buy any.

DaveW

Like others, I too found them very hard.

I usually use a 2.5 Daniels so ordered a 2 & 2.5 tenor reed. Tried the 2 today and couldn't get a thing out of it!
Will try soaking it for a few minutes before trying it again but Like Martin I don't think I will be purchasing any.

Col9

we just recieved a 2.0 alto reed and a 2.5 tenor reed from IR. The alto is very very hard work but playable, still to try the tenor. We have tried some flying goose reeds and these are nothing at all like those to play. These are harder than expected whereas the flying goose were a lot softer.

Col.

Lodger

IR reeds

I normally use 1.5 Vandoren or 2 Rico, so I sent for one each IR reeds 1.5 and 2.0 (alto)

The service was very good - they came within a day or two.

I too found the 1.5 playable but hard work. I had to change back to my regular reed after a short time. I daren't try the 2 ! I might try weakening them with a bit of judicious scraping - nothing lost with a free reed.

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferSaxTeacher

Hi, I tried these Internetreeds when they first came out and was impressed so recommended them to my pupils; both young and adults. The thing I like about them is that they work and at those prices you can’t fail. We all know that if you get six or seven good reeds in a box of Rico or Vandoren or any of the established makes that I’ve tried over the years you are lucky and often it changes with the weather! My pupils love their “IR’s” as they call ‘em and the parents love the price! Seems good to me.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
It seems strange that some of our experienced players have found these reeds hard and unyielding, yet the younger students find them acceptable or even love them. They must have chops of steel.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom