All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Free Pass around: Clark Fobes Debut Alto Sax mouthpiece!

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

I still have 2 Clark Fobes Debut Alto Sax mouthpieces available for a pass around. They are one of the USA's best student sax mouthpieces.http://www.clarkwfobes.com/saxophone.html

If you would like to see how it compares to the Yamaha 4C and other beginner mouthpieces please PM me and I will send one out to you for a week or so. Clark famously hand finishes every single mouthpiece and is a super bloke to relate to.

Just PM me if you would like to try one out - no obligation of course - just a brief note about playing. I also have a Bari Esprit II available with the same conditions - both have a mouthpiece patch. Bari Woodwind Mouthpieces and Reeds

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Folks

I have just tested this mouthpiece (thanks Tom) and found it a very easy blowing piece, when i first tried it out with the vandoren jazz 2 i found it quite hard to blow it was ok after a short while (maybe the reed) then i tried it with RJS 2M and to me that was good producing a nice clean bright sound.
I also tried it with a few other reeds, Rico royal 2 and a legere 2 3/4 studio cut, didn't like the rico but was impressed with the legere which sounded very bright and very easy to blow.
With the reeds i used i would say in order of (my) preference... RJS 2m, legere studio cut, Vandoren jazz, then Rico royal but these are just my preferences.
To conclude i would recommend the Fobes debut to any beginner as it is a very easy blowing peice, just try it with a few reeds to get your best set up.

donation made to pete's charity

saxnik

Thanks for this Tom,

I finally got around to having a decent blow on the mouthpiece. I tried a test alongside a Yamaha 4C and a Selmer C*.
This was a 'cold' test, on an unfamiliar sax (albeit a Yam62) with a stock two-screw ligature and a Hahn synthetic reed (just seemed like I should get as far away from my own setup as possible).

Here's the play test, see what you think? Just a simple G Mixolydian on each.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7lTkY675t7tbXhnc1B5TVhoQmc

Nick

SAXPA

Re BARI ESPRIT

Thanks Tom

Received the Bari Esprit this morning so thought i'd give it a quick blow for 10 mins, dont really know what i expected from this MP but it sure as hell surprised me with what i got.

Playing it against my- Semer s80 c**, Meyer 5m, and Rico metalite.

Reeds- Vandoren no2.5 blue box, Rico select jazz 2m , Hemke no2 and Legere studio cut no2

Ligature- Rovner dark, Rovner light and a 2 screw metal

result was firstly my 10 mins turned into 2 hours- i tried various combinations of reed and lig but found myself coming back to the Hemke, and Legere reeds and the rovner light lig. I was amazed at the flexibility of this mp it can be pushed when needed and can still be very expressive .

I would say for classical it more than holds its own against the £100.00 Selmer c**,which is my main mp

for Jazz etc its not a Meyer but I actually prefer the sound i got out of the Bari ,but that could be just me.

To summarise for classical /blues i found the Bari on par or maybe slightly better than the selmer using the Hemke reed and rovner light lig.
for jazz i would also choose the Bari usig the Legere reed and rovner light lig, i have my lesson tonight so i will also get my teachers opinion and will let you know her thoughts on it, i am certainly impressed with what is actually classed as a student MP so it looks like i will be buying one of these ASAP.
ps used on my mauriat Le Bravo.

once again cheers Tom :welldone:welldone:welldone

TomMapfumo

Thanks for this Tom,

I finally got around to having a decent blow on the mouthpiece. I tried a test alongside a Yamaha 4C and a Selmer C*.
This was a 'cold' test, on an unfamiliar sax (albeit a Yam62) with a stock two-screw ligature and a Hahn synthetic reed (just seemed like I should get as far away from my own setup as possible).

Here's the play test, see what you think? Just a simple G Mixolydian on each.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7lTkY675t7tbXhnc1B5TVhoQmc

Nick
Can't seem to work it - any help welcome!

TomMapfumo

Re BARI ESPRIT

Thanks Tom

Received the Bari Esprit this morning so thought i'd give it a quick blow for 10 mins, dont really know what i expected from this MP but it sure as hell surprised me with what i got.

Playing it against my- Semer s80 c**, Meyer 5m, and Rico metalite.

Reeds- Vandoren no2.5 blue box, Rico select jazz 2m , Hemke no2 and Legere studio cut no2

Ligature- Rovner dark, Rovner light and a 2 screw metal

result was firstly my 10 mins turned into 2 hours- i tried various combinations of reed and lig but found myself coming back to the Hemke, and Legere reeds and the rovner light lig. I was amazed at the flexibility of this mp it can be pushed when needed and can still be very expressive .

I would say for classical it more than holds its own against the £100.00 Selmer c**,which is my main mp

for Jazz etc its not a Meyer but I actually prefer the sound i got out of the Bari ,but that could be just me.

To summarise for classical /blues i found the Bari on par or maybe slightly better than the selmer using the Hemke reed and rovner light lig.
for jazz i would also choose the Bari usig the Legere reed and rovner light lig, i have my lesson tonight so i will also get my teachers opinion and will let you know her thoughts on it, i am certainly impressed with what is actually classed as a student MP so it looks like i will be buying one of these ASAP.
ps used on my mauriat Le Bravo.

once again cheers Tom :welldone:welldone:welldone
They are superb mouthpieces for £14. Glad you found it such a good mouthpiece!
Kind regards
Tom

Sunray

Can't seem to work it - any help welcome!
Hi Tom ...

Not sure if you managed to get the sound-clip to play ...

Your quote seems to say it didn't work for you ...

I managed it OK ... Here is what I done ...

Click the link - Which opens a window saying No Preview Available ... But there is a download button ...

Download the file and save to your computer somewhere of your choice [desktop - for example].

The file saved is called "MP Comp" which is an mp3 file - which will play on Windows Media Player [or many/most other music players].

The mp3 file does take a while to load but if you wait a while it plays fine ...

Hope that is of help mate ...

Please excuse the basic nature of this post [I have tried to make it simple to follow so others who may not use computers very often can follow it nice n easy] ...

:cheers:

TomMapfumo

I have clicked on it several times and "No Preview Available" and download button has not appeared once. Thanks for trying to help me...........

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
works perfectly for me following sunrays instructions. Do you have a google account? Cos I had to login to google during the process.

Sunray

Works for me on Firefox 13.0.1 and Internet Explorer 9 ...

I can only guess that you may need to update something ...

Either browser - or Java - or maybe just one of your plugins ...

Sorry Tom - I ain't much use this time :(

TomMapfumo

Works for me on Firefox 13.0.1 and Internet Explorer 9 ...

I can only guess that you may need to update something ...

Either browser - or Java - or maybe just one of your plugins ...

Sorry Tom - I ain't much use this time :(
All working spot on! I switched to a different computer with a Firefox 12 and it did just what you said, and came on iTunes very quickly! My other computer is using an older version of Firefox which it cannot update. Problem solved!

TomMapfumo

I now have Firefox 13.01 and all is very fast and very straightforward. Regarding the mouthpiece comparison - I have had several listens, and tried hard to be open minded.

The first brief clip (Selmer S80 C*) did sound a little dull/mellow/wooden - least favourite.

The second brief clip (Yamaha 4C) sounded better dynamically, but had a slightly neutral quality to my ears - second best.

The third brief clip (Fobes Debut) was the most alive sounding with a bit more depth to the sound - most favourite.

Albeit with brief sound tracks there is only so much we can assess. The disappointment was with the Selmer - someone described it as like playing through a sock, and it did sound almost muted to a degree. The Yamaha sounded fairly good in my opinion, but rather neutral and lacking dynamism. Having heard the Fobes it did seem to point to a livelier sound being available if desired, and the higher and lower notes seem to hint at a more dynamic soundscape.

I'd be interested in others' views, and feel free to arrange a trial should you want to draw your own conclusions.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Probably heresy, which is why I said nothing, but I preferred the sound of the yamaha. I put the fobes and selmer in equal second place.

saxnik

Controversial, Kev!

Just goes to show that it's all subjective really. I preferred the Selmer, but not so much that I'd shell out for one over the Fobes.
Am I right in thinking it's around £35 for the Fobes vs around £70 for the Selmer? No contest.

I definitely prefer the sound of the Fobes to the Yamaha, however the Yamaha was marginally easier to blow.

BTW Tom, I tried some Alexander NY reeds on my tenor, not really a fan....!

Nick

TomMapfumo

I have some NY 2 strength on Tenor and Alto which I had to break in quite carefully - wetting, massaging etc. They seemed very hard originally but are now brilliant.

The Selmer S80 is now about £110 but can be found new at less than £100 (Normans is one). The Fobes is £36 from Howarth of London.

Glad you like it. If anyone wants to try a Fobes mouthpiece then please PM me for a free trial.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Dragging this off topic a little, but I played around with alto mouthpieces over the weekend, on my Kohlert, and on a Jason (chinese I think) which I'm going to sell.

Meyer aerodynamic 5, Runyon smoothbore 9, Morgan 7L (Jazz).

Well no surprises - the two saxes sounded very different, with the Kohlert a long way ahead, wife & I agreed on this. Mouthpieces - Runyon was darned loud, but not specially nice, lacking in refinement, good for rock/funk. The Morgan was almost as loud, but warm, rich and dark. And the Meyer was thin/reedy. Neither of us liked it. Morgan wins hands down. Almost as nice as the Brilhart personaline I used to have. Anyone with one of those to sell me?

TomMapfumo

Thanks, but not at that price.

Someone was ofering one of those ligs on ebay here recently. Asking 300 for starters.... For some strange reason it didn't sell.
You'll appreciate that it was a bit of a wind-up but they are often available on Sax On The Web for $150 or so. I'd be interested in what is a close copy to said mouthpiece so may email Phil Engleman and Brian Powell and do a bit of research.

Back to the Original Thread: Nick sent me a Yamaha 4C at the same time as the Fobes Debut, and SAXPA sent me the Bari Esprit II which were all at home on my return from work this afternoon. I decided to have a brief trial of all of them, using a Rigotti Gold 2.5 reed and Marc Jean Ligature.

Yamaha 4C: It sounded good, was easy to play and was good throughout the range and with altissimo also. It was quietish volume wise. It was moderately bright sounding, though I do have a tendency to sound darker than some players.

Fobes Debut: This was a little livelier and did have a slightly more complex tone, which reminded me of some of my Meyer type pieces. It had slightly more resistance than the Yamaha 4C but was still fairly free blowing. It was a little louder than the 4C and was fine throughout the range. I preferred it as it sounded a little more professional and had more character, but the Yamaha did its job well.

Bari Esprit II: This is my favourite of the three. It had much more volume and was very free blowing. If the Debut felt suited to jazz then the Bari would be great for pop/rock/funk/contemporary and had good body to the sound. It had more character than the Yamaha 4C and could make a stronger sound than both. At £14 I think it is amazing value and wished I'd had it to learn on. Notes were fine from low Bb upwards to altissimo. Hopefully the Bari Esprit II will soon be available for Tenor (not available as yet - just the Mk I) and I can try it out.

All 3 mouthpieces are excellent beginner mouthpieces, with the Fobes and Bari had a little more obvious character, which may or may not be desirable.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom