All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Free Notation Progams

dooce

Thanks for that - Linux not much good to me (isn't he a character in the Peanuts cartoon?:)) but will give Musescore a look.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I've been using Musescore for a while. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it does most things. I found it best to keep the pdf manual open all the time. Production release sorts out a lot of the niggles that bugged me in the 0.9 series progrms.

flamingoer

I've also been using MuseScore happily for a couple of years,
but I now find it will only playback as Violin.
I've tried all the obvious ploys - staff properties - etc. (I even started from scratch) and
although it says Alto Sax it still plays Violin.

Please folks, is there anyone can help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lerome

I discovered Musescore yesterday morning - before the first post was made on this thread!! Good old Google!

It is version 1.0 Revision 3996, and appears to be the latest version. I am running it under Windows 7 64 Bit (running as a 32 bit app, though) and it seems to be OK. It crashed once, but probably because I was messing around with it. But it is very easy to write notes and edit them. It took a bit of playing around to learn the editing methods and to change instruments etc, but it seems like an excellent piece of software. And it writes .wav files, too, which play under Windows. And it creates perfect pdfs too.

Should be useful for writing transcriptions.

Sunray

I've also been using MuseScore happily for a couple of years,
but I now find it will only playback as Violin.
I've tried all the obvious ploys - staff properties - etc. (I even started from scratch) and
although it says Alto Sax it still plays Violin.

Please folks, is there anyone can help?
Hey mate ...

Try this if you haven't already ...

Load a score ...

Create - Instruments - Woodwinds - Add Tenor Sax [for example] Remove anything else in the Staves/Clef window - click OK

Then try playing the score ... ;}

It works for me ...

flamingoer

Thanks Sunray. Yes I have tried this. It says alto on the score but I still get
Yehudi Menuhin! - if it was Stephane Grapelli I might not mind so much.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Mine doen't do it. I guess it's using midi sound files, maybe these ae messed up, or not being found.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I just took a look at how mine's set up.

go to edit/preferences and select the I/O tab
Use Jack midi output should be unticked, Use internal synthesiser should be ticked.
Under internal synthesiser only Portaudio should be selected, and this should point to Api: MME, Device Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output.

Not sure if this affects it or not, but in the general tab, instrument list should be set to :/data/instruments.xml

Will see if I can find anything else.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
What I said in the last post may not help.

Open the pdf manual (local manual from the help tag), go to chapter 4 Sound and Playback and take a look at the Soundfont section.
Check the settings they list there. Consider installing a different soundfont file if you don't find a problem.

Am just downloading/installing the first of the files they recommend, I'll let you knw how it goes.

flamingoer

Thanks Kevgermany,
Really grateful for all that. I'll try it in the morning. I'm now just off to bed
after a hard day watching too much TV soccer and not doing enough jazz theory.

Sweet Dreamer

Melody Assistant

Here's link to the one I use. It's called Melody Assistant.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melody.htm

It's not exactly free though. You can download a fully functional program and use it indefinitely to write and play music, and even save those files. So in that way it's free.

However if you want to actually generate mp3 files with it then you must purchase it for a fee of US$ 25 or 20 euros. I've been using it for over 5 years now and I'm well pleased with it. I bought it so I could use it to generate mp3 files. It will also generate midi files too, but the mp3 files sound more realistic.

It basically has unlimited staff capability. You can change the time sig or key on the fly in any measure. You can create partial measures. It will pretty much do just about anything you can think of. It also recognizes and plays many articulations that can be notated in standard notation.

Plus it has a full library of instruments to chose from. Even for the $25 that I paid I think it's an extreme bargain. And like I say, you can download it for free without time limit to try it out first. If you like it, I think you'll gladly pay the license fee to be able to generate the mp3 files.

It also provides the ability to write lyrics and assign each syllable to a note. For an additional fee a computerized voice synthesizer will actually sing whatever lyrics you write. Although that feature does sound fairly robotic. But if you're a songwriter it can give you a feel for how a particular melody might sound.

It's a nice program. I don't know how it compares with the ones listed in the OP since I haven't tried them.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Another possibility:

Display/mixer. In there you can set the voice of any instrument, so if Tenor sax is set to violin, it will play as if it was on a violin. Perhaps this is set to violin or strings?

I downloaded the bigger sound file and installed it. The sax synthesiser isn't any better than the default supplied with musescore.

flamingoer

Eureka!

The mixer fixed it.
Doesn't sound too much like Paul Desmond, but who does? (apart from Alison Neale),
and it certainly isn't a violin.

So many thanks again to Kev for taking all that trouble.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom