support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Francois Louis ligature range your view please

BeBopSop

Locality
worcester england
Hi all, I just need to get a nice lig to complete my set up, it is for a hard rubber mp. I want a metal lig, preferable with one screw, just wondered about the Francois Louis range etc, can anybody recommend it (or a better one)
thanks

Hi all, I just need to get a nice lig to complete my set up, it is for a hard rubber mp. I want a metal lig, preferable with one screw, just wondered about the Francois Louis range etc, can anybody recommend it (or a better one)
thanks

I've had a bunch on my alto HR pieces and I have 1 for my metal tenor mp.There great ligs.They free things up a lot and give better attack I find.

can they mark the mp and does that little plate swivle around before you fit it?
thanks john

I'm with Davey on them. Re your queries- they only mark the mouthpiece if you don't fit them properly (not pushing them down to open up the sides) and re the plate- if you put a drop of oil on the screw, it shouldn't move....

I have got two different styles of FL ligs and they are nicely made, but sometimes a bit fiddly. My favourite lig is the Vandoren Optimum, which is also single screw, but of a different style - they are pretty pricey for what they are.

Rhys

PS My other favourite lig design is the Lawton, but only good on Lawton mouthpieces !

can they mark the mp and does that little plate swivels around before you fit it?
thanks john
Couldn't comment on them marking a HR piece, but yes the plate swivel's around a bit, but they are amazing things to be fair and considerably liven things up!

I back the FL ultimate lig 100%, great ligature, opens the reed to vibrate fully to get maximum respose and sound so get the FL ultimate (i use on my tenor mouthpiece), you will not be disappointed, (i also have my own custom FL lig) and the overall workmanship is great, now trust me i have test run many ligatures and my most recent test was in Berlin a month or so ago where i spent over 3 hours, tried vandoren optimum, every top rovner, selmers, you name it i tried and tested it and the FL ultimate destroyed the field easily!
i think i stated my case, and Francois if you read this i want more commision for endorsment rights haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a good recommendation! does it mark the hr pieces? and is it fiddley to fit? the 'Vandoren Optimum' looks a nice simple design, with the screw fitting on the reed area so no marking of the mp I would think.

The Vandoren is nice but you don't get the same free effect you get on an FL.I never find them any hassle to fit.Every metal lig leaves some fine marks.Just forget about the very fine marks and just play the thing.

I've got the FL lig and do like the sound it gives but as I'm a bit arthritic :( I do find it very fiddly to fit, so when I got my Java T55 I got the Vandoren Optimum which is easy to fit and personally I think sounds great too. :thumb:

Trying a 'Vandoren Optimum' lig. out today ....awaiting post..... while listening to 'memories of tomorrow'-kieth Jarrett

Trying a 'Vandoren Optimum' lig. out today ....awaiting post..... while listening to 'memories of tomorrow'-kieth Jarrett

Let us know what you think.

The three different plates are an interesting idea but I am pretty sceptical about whether they give genuine and repeatable differences to the sound - or differences that are greater than just removing and replacing the same lig in a slightly different position, slightly tighter or looser.

Rhys

Let us know what you think.

The three different plates are an interesting idea but I am pretty sceptical about whether they give genuine and repeatable differences to the sound - or differences that are greater than just removing and replacing the same lig in a slightly different position, slightly tighter or looser.

Rhys

Hi Rhys, I have done a quick review on the Vandoren Optimum here Saxophones & Accessories
Vandoren optimum Ligature my thoughts

Thanks very much for the recommendation, its a great lig, regards John

I have both the FL Basic Lig and the FL Pure Brass Lig on Alto, both of which are superb. My favourite Ligature is the Marc Jean Ligature, however, which is custom made in Canada by Marc himself and has the best sound by some distance. It costs about £46 imported from Canada and is designed to fit to your particular mouthpiece size. I use them on Soprano and Tenor too. Exceptional product.

Glad you like your Vandoren Optimum. I used to have one on my Vandoren V16 T77 metal mouthpiece but did not rate the mouthpiece so sold them on. Prefer my current set up.

I love my FL Ultimate lig for HR alto pieces. It leaves no marks, the swivelling plate has never been an issue but I don't leave it on the mpc without a reed although you can if you choose too. The FL cap is a great all-round cap.

The ONLY fault I have with the FL Ultimate is that it doesn't fit my very large bodied 1940s Berg. But it is really chunky. The lig fits rubber Meyers, Links, later Bergs, Brilharts, Vandorens - you name it - except my 'slant sig' Berg :(

V

I have both the FL Basic Lig and the FL Pure Brass Lig on Alto, both of which are superb. My favourite Ligature is the Marc Jean Ligature, however, which is custom made in Canada by Marc himself and has the best sound by some distance. It costs about £46 imported from Canada and is designed to fit to your particular mouthpiece size. I use them on Soprano and Tenor too. Exceptional product.

Glad you like your Vandoren Optimum. I used to have one on my Vandoren V16 T77 metal mouthpiece but did not rate the mouthpiece so sold them on. Prefer my current set up.

I agree. The FL and Vandoren Optimum are both fantastic ligs but the MJ is even better, at least in terms of the sound. Changing reeds on the MJ is not as quick as on the Optimum.

Found this 'copy' on ebay £19.99 start price or buy it now £29.99 from Poland, or is it a Francois Louis 2nd?
[h=2][/h]

$T2eC16NHJHwE9n8ig+fBBRZZt6KuHg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l3d0BRZZt0b25g%7E%7E60_12.JPG

It is the fella's own version, he makes different parts for saxes and mouthpieces, he also makes thumb plates and key guards and anything really. I just been in Poland for a long while and the sax tech i use there told me about it.

It is the fella's own version, he makes different parts for saxes and mouthpieces, he also makes thumb plates and key guards and anything really. I just been in Poland for a long while and the sax tech i use there told me about it.

I would have thought that the Francois Louis ligs would be copyrighted?

I would have thought that the Francois Louis ligs would be copyrighted?
For 30 quid I wouldn't worry, only thing is he only seems to do two sizes, one for hr alto and one for hr tenor, I would imagine the hr alto would still be to big for a metal tenor piece, great find though....

Back
Top Bottom