support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • All posts re: Fake (counterfeit) saxophones and scams are now in their own subforum here:

Fakes and Scams

Saxophones Found - The Mythical Selmer MkVII Baritone - But... was it lost?

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
Let's not get too carried away folks... don't forget, charity begins at home. ;)

If you were me and it wasn't claimed and returned to its owner (if stolen), which of you would prefer to:
a) Give/lend to some worthy organisation.
b) Keep it, fix it, play it, enjoy it.

If you answered (a), and you have/had your own saxophone/s, have you followed this same route?
If so, do you feel better and more philanthropic because of your kind act?
If not, why not?

Hey... isn't there a Philanthropic Orchestra? Maybe they'd like it? Or am I getting confused with something else... o_O
I would keep it and fix it up, then buy a new G4M bari and gift it to a school needing a bari sax for jazz band / orchestra.
Would still work out cheaper than buying a used Selmer baritone.

It would make me feel better for the person who lost it (assuming he/she is still around and not got insurance pay out) to know something good came out of it and I also know how baritone saxophones are treated in schools.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Well of course it's an assumption it was stolen, and I can't think of any other reasonable explanation, but if an owner is looking for it they should now be able to find it, or if they start looking for it again in 5, 10 years time. But I see where you're coming from Manlio. Having said that, at least I'd look after it better than a school in the meantime. ;)

I fascinates me what the back story could be, in the same way as I love researching obscure horns.
The information is out there I've no doubt, it's just tracking it down... but that, for me, is part of the fun.
The thrill of the chase!

Jimmymack

Locality
London
I don't know what I would do in your situation, probably hope not to get into it but it's a difficult one. Any horn that's had it's serial obliterated is immediately suspect and we can reasonably assume it was stolen. I'm sure many of us know people who've had horns stolen and you are doing the honourable, and right, thing trying to get it back to it's rightful owner, that owner might well be the insurance company but that makes no difference, if they paid out for it. The main problem is that you don't want a bari. I would say just play it until this is resolved as far as it can be, you might come to like it. Other options are fraught and I think it is now yours unless and until a claimant appears. One thing I must remember is to not to ever negotiate with you if you can get somebody to relinquish something he paid £700 for for £200, I'd have just let it hang on the wall rather than take that hit.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Well despite all my efforts, postings, and emails to all and sundry (no reply from Selmer.fr by the way) tomorrow is the 28th day, upon which the Police advise me (in writing) the Bari's ownership transfers to me and I can retain/dispose of it at will.

There's always the chance an aggrieved owner/victim of theft could come forward in the future in which case I'd hope he'd have a positive view of the work I'm about to pay for to have it made playable. Otherwise what do I do... hang it on a wall? No, no, no, I just have to get it sorted to see whether I like Bari ...and if I don't?
Then I hang it on the wall! :doh:

I guess I stand a good chance of being able to give Bari a fair shot, it being a Selmer with a fresh set up. But how much time to give it I've no idea.

Matt at Sheward-MIR gave it a once over a few weeks back, reporting the pads are good, it's in good nick (really?) and just needs a post soldering back on, all the removable dents removing, checking over for other issues, regulating, done.

Keep you posted...

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
After alto, baritone is easier than tenor. imo.
So much fun too. Once you start playing you'll hear a baritone on every record, tv advert and radio show. They're everywhere. ;)

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
(no reply from Selmer.fr by the way)

I guess I stand a good chance of being able to give Bari a fair shot, it being a Selmer with a fresh set up. But how much time to give it I've no idea.
It is August, after all. Getting a response from a French company this month is always going to be a bit hit and miss.

I got my first bari after I'd been playing for about 25 years, most of that time on tenor with a bit of soprano. I took to it pretty much straight away. Going from predominantly alto to bari might take a little familiarisation. I'd say play for a fairly small amount of time (30 mins or so) every day for three months, then take stock of how much you like it.

Top Bottom