support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Forum upgrade this week

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
There is going to be fairly major forum upgrade this week. Preparatory work will be later today and hoping to do the actual upgrade tomorrow.

This is not as major as the last one and should not affect the look of the forum apart from a few icons being different due to being Font Awesome 5 .

We will get some new features which are not earth shattering, but we do need to do the upgrade to keep secure and nicely supported by Xenforo and addon authors.

Main features:

• Unfurling of URLS
  • The return of tables
  • Push Notifications
  • Image alignment/alt text
  • per post shares
  • New improved post bookmarking system
  • Some other stuff I forget.

Most of these are probably really things that benefit the forum re: SEO etc.

The (slightly) bad news is that post ratings as we know it is no longer supported, xenforo core has its own system called "Reactions" and more or less mirrors the way reactions are done in facebook.

We should not lose much of the function we currently have so still have like, +1, funny, pigs etc but they will be more static. Not to worry.

database backups happen twice daily, at 01:33 and 13:33. This means if anything doesn't work or gets totally screwed I can restore the database to the 13:33 auto backup.

Plus I will have had my lunch.

Came and went, apparently?

Yes, the preparatory work of updating various adding and tidying up some templates. Will probably upgrade tomorrow

I am glad the forum is back up. I was beginning to go through withdrawals. :confused:

All done, hope it's working OK.

Everything looks to have a nice cleaner appearance since the upgrade. Although I wiped my laptop screen this afternoon, so it might be that.