All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Formula One Television Deal.

old git

Tremendous Bore
I realise that our sole provable mutual interest is saxophones, but as this forum helped a member achieve "Busker of the Month" award, would you please assist in righting this wrong.

Mr. Ecclestone has done a deal that means that half of the BBC's Formula One output next year will only be available after the result is known. My interest started with my first real memory of exiting radio, with the embarrassment that BRM suffered when their wonderful super car, the one and a half litre, supercharged, vee sixteen broke its halfshaft starting at Silverstone, must have been around 50/52.

All you have to do is to leave a comment on Formula One team, the Formula One and any associated websites stating that you will not buy any Formula One sponsor's products and services until the BBC has exactly the same rights as BSkyB.

Just don't give Bernie my address, please. :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I realise that our sole provable mutual interest is saxophones, but as this forum helped a member achieve "Busker of the Month" award, would you please assist in righting this wrong.

Mr. Ecclestone has done a deal that means that half of the BBC's Formula One output next year will only be available after the result is known. My interest started with my first real memory of exiting radio, with the embarrassment that BRM suffered when their wonderful super car, the one and a half litre, supercharged, vee sixteen broke its halfshaft starting at Silverstone, must have been around 50/52.

All you have to do is to leave a comment on Formula One team, the Formula One and any associated websites stating that you will not buy any Formula One sponsor's products and services until the BBC has exactly the same rights as BSkyB.

Hubby just told me about this I am furious that more and more sport is going to Sky:mad::mad::mad:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Even easier.

Email the Formula One Team Association site, telling them you will not knowingly buy any products or services from their sponsors until the BBC enjoys exactly the same Broadcasting Rights as BSkyB without any further charges in the new contract.

Email address:-info@teamassociation.org

Help! First suing the Council, now trying to organise a campaign against Bernie Ecclestone. Don't get old, it gives you ideas above your station. :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Even easier.

Email the Formula One Team Association site, telling them you will not knowingly buy any products or services from their sponsors until the BBC enjoys exactly the same Broadcasting Rights as BSkyB without any further charges in the new contract.

Email address:-info@teamassociation.org

:)

Done, feel a bit better now;}

Jx

Young Col

Actually I thought this was not Bernie's machinations this time but rather BBC due to budget cuts. Either F1 or Channel 4 goes and this was a compromise. Bernie said (if you can trust that) that the Beeb did a great job and he didn't want to lose them. It's certainly true. Why should I have to pay Sky to watch half the F1 season? I'd rather the Beeb closed channel 4 as most of it is rubbish.

BRM were innovative and their cars were sometimes very fast, but also unreliable because of their complexity. The later H16 was a case in point.
YC

BigMartin

And don't give Rupert, James or Rebekah his phone number >:).

Personally, I don't give a stuff about F1 itself but the BBC is looking more and more like an expensive and unaccountable irrelevance. I've pretty much lost interest in cricket since first the Beeb and then (predictably) Channel 4 stopped showing live test match coverage.

dooce

Interesting that when the BBC threatened to axe the 6Music station, there was an immediate outcry, an online petition and Facebook campaign were started which loads of celebs got behind, and ultimately of course, the BBC backed down. I'm amazed that the responsibility for leading the campaign against the Beeb ditching 50% of its F1 coverage has come down to a pensioner in Croydon - fair play to you OG. But I am astonished that, so far, the long legacy of free-to-air F1 coverage appears to be coming to an end without any other kind of significant protest.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Ok for now folks, but please don't let this thread escalate into p[olitocs.

Just saying, these things can happen...

Rogerb

"...p[olitocs" ..... ¿Que? :confused:

However, with Bernie saying that the Association is 'just silly', I'm not sure they are the people to 'influence'!
See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11158296

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Pete,
If it is political, please take it down. I have no wish to break forum rules or present you with any or even a potential problem.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Pete,
If it is political, please take it down. I have no wish to break forum rules or present you with any or even a potential problem.
The politics rule is basically there to stop party political debate, which would cause imflammation I'm sure.

It hasn't done that (yet) so discussing this is OK, I just wanted to put that caution in there.

Rogerb

Yes, I know...some people can make a weather forecast into a party p[olotical broadcast ...as I once discovered in Birmingham, where my cabbie bitterly blamed the then PM for the fact that it was peeing-down :)))

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
There was a suggestion in a report I read that the BBC could show a recording of the races not just a highlights programme.
I have several email addresses and have sent them messsages along the lines of:
If saving money is their priority a simple, complete lights to flag race with a commentary is much cheaper than a highlights programme.
That would have to be created and would probably have ten minutes of overpaid presenters and pundits being pretentious followed by 40 minutes of disjointed action with a scripted voiceover and then ten minutes of 'analyis' and comment telling us what we had just seen in case we were too stupid to have understood it.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Seen the news that Fox, aka News Corp, aka News International, aka Rupert Murdoch and his wish to own BSkyB are trying to stop a bankrupt American Baseball team from changing bankers in case they advise them to sell the franchise in case it goes out of New York and they lose their broadcast rights up to 2013.
Do you really want Formula One TV rights in their hands?

That's why it is suggested that you contact the Team Association and sponsors. If the sponsors lose trade by their sponsorship, that means no sponsorship, no Formula One teams, no Formula One and BSkyB have invested a lot of money for nothing. Might spoil plan for a possible takeover of all sports.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom