SYOS

Food and music

thomsax

Last summer I arranged some gigs with rocking friends. It occured to us that quite a lot of the songs were about food, cooking, eating .... . Memphis Soul Stew, Homecookin', Chicken, (Back At the) Chicken Shack, Built for Comfort ... .
Are there more Blues-, Soul-, R&B-tunes we can add to the coming gigs?

Thomas

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Louis Prima's songs are full of food references & (as you'll know) are great for tenor sax. Cornbread & Cabbage Greens by Joe Houston, Mountain Oysters- (can't remember who that one was by but it's on the Big Horn CD boxed set), Chitlins Con Carne- Stanley Turrentine & Kenny Burrell, hm... I'll be back later with more.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
From "Jumping Like Mad- Cool Cats and Hip Chicks" Capital Records Jump Blues compliation CD..... There's 'Solid Potato Salad' - Ella Mae Morse, 'Frim Fram Sauce'- King Cole Trio & Pork Chops & Mustard Greens' by Maxwell Davis!
Also 'Jambalaya'- Hank Williams and 'Hot Boudin'- a tradtional Cajun stomp about sausages!

saxafonic

Last summer I arranged some gigs with rocking friends. It occured to us that quite a lot of the songs were about food, cooking, eating .... . Memphis Soul Stew, Homecookin', Chicken, (Back At the) Chicken Shack, Built for Comfort ... .
Are there more Blues-, Soul-, R&B-tunes we can add to the coming gigs?

Thomas
I've got a compilation CD called "Hot Food , Cool Jazz" features artists like Jex Saarelant , Doug de Vries, Steve wade,
its an Australian production. havent listened to it for a few years but was just amused by the title since this web site cropped up.

Djangette

I'm not sure all the songs are strictly about food? ....

Big Butter and Egg Man,
Moose March,
Ice Cream,
Savoy Blues,
Cake Walking My Baby Back Home,
Clarinet Marmalade ...

... All nice numbers for a jam session :-D

TonyMoroney

Yup, there's a bunch of Blues about food, here's just a few that spring to mind immediately by Louis Jordan....

Cole Slaw (Sorghum Switch)​
Saturday Night Fish Fry​
Beans and Corn Bread​
Lemonade​
Salt Pork, West Virginia​

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers

T.

mrjulian

Peanut vendor
Hot dog man
Autumn leaves (some sort of trendy salad, I guess)
Cantaloupe Island
The Chicken
Watermelon Man
Sugar
Scrapple from the Apple
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
Black Coffee (more of a beverage I s'pose! - new thread??)

Top Bottom