Follow The Rabbit (The Quest To Master Key & Chord Changes)

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
After my less than successful jam session the other week, where one of my problems was exposed - not being able to confidently and consistently outline chord and key changes - I decided to face the challenge head-on. I've spent the last two weeks doing almost nothing other than working on outlining chord and key changes.

And when I was starting to feel a little happier I decided to write a song where I chose a starting chord and then chose the following one based purely on what I thought sounded pleasing to me. The one thing I never considered at any time was try to write or adhere to a key. The result is a song where every chord change is also a key change - at least it is as far as I can tell. ;)

I made it a simple AABA arrangement so that it can also be used as a jam song. If anyone's interested I was thinking it might make a good Improv Of The Month song ... not that many people ever actually join in with them. ;)

If anyone likes the idea then I already have the dots (I had to use them to record the song - I've never had to do that with one of my own tracks before) and two backing tracks; one at this speed and a rather slower one to make it a little easier.

Definitely happy with this one. :D

https://soundcloud.com/veggie-dave%2Ffollow-the-rabbit View: https://soundcloud.com/veggie-dave/follow-the-rabbit

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
When I looked at the title of this thread, I thought it said, “Follow the Rabbi”. Being Jewish, I got excited, thinking here was something I could play!

Seriously though, Dave, what a great exercise to learn to run changes! I really enjoyed it. I would love to take a shot at those changes.

Thanks for sharing.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
After my less than successful jam session the other week, where one of my problems was exposed - not being able to confidently and consistently outline chord and key changes - I decided to face the challenge head-on. I've spent the last two weeks doing almost nothing other than working on outlining chord and key changes.

And when I was starting to feel a little happier I decided to write a song where I chose a starting chord and then chose the following one based purely on what I thought sounded pleasing to me. The one thing I never considered at any time was try to write or adhere to a key. The result is a song where every chord change is also a key change - at least it is as far as I can tell. ;)

I made it a simple AABA arrangement so that it can also be used as a jam song. If anyone's interested I was thinking it might make a good Improv Of The Month song ... not that many people ever actually join in with them. ;)

If anyone likes the idea then I already have the dots (I had to use them to record the song - I've never had to do that with one of my own tracks before) and two backing tracks; one at this speed and a rather slower one to make it a little easier.

https://soundcloud.com/veggie-dave%2Ffollow-the-rabbit View: https://soundcloud.com/veggie-dave/follow-the-rabbit
I think its a great idea, I would be interested to see the dots and chords but I'm not ready to participate

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber

Sounding confident and the work you are putting in can only be a good thing

I for one would like to bash at this in IOTM as you suggest

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
Serious intonation/pitching issues there @Veggie Dave
I only noticed two - both longer notes that I was going to bend and then changed my mind after remembering Rhysonsax's comment - yep, in the middle of concentrating like mad I still remembered this, which threw me slightly ;) Anything above C3 on my TJ is always problematic but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I also noticed when I listened back was that not every note was as strong as it should have been. What you can hear is me trying to remember the approaching key which, bizarrely, made me play with slightly less force. But I haven't noticed anything that I would describe as serious intonation or pitching problems and I'm usually my own worst critic.

Would you be so kind as to give me an example or two, other than at 1.32 which is when @rhysonsax got in the way. ;)

Last edited:

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
I just told my other half about the intonation/pitch comment and that I couldn't hear it to which she replied 'it's probably because it's so discordant.'

Either I uploaded the wrong song or my ears are broken... :confused2:

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
Improvisation of the Month:
Follow The Chord Changes (Down The Rabbit Hole)

Here's a direct link to the files (two backing tracks (130bpm and 110bpm) and two PDFs (E♭ and B♭ )):
Dropbox - Follow The Rabbit.zip

Maybe that's it. Having no formal training, I can often hear things I can't explain. It just sounds out of tune to me.
I'm hoping I haven't gone all Coltrane and put theoretical ideas before melody but I have been listening to a lot more 'real jazz' recently. I have found that if I listen to the song on something that lacks bottom end, so that the lower piano notes and bass parts don't stand out as much as they should, that it can sound more ... challenging. ;)

I honestly don't know. So, have fun. :D

Last edited:

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber

Here's a direct link to the files (two backing tracks (130bpm and 110bpm) and two PDFs (E♭ and B♭ )):
Dropbox - Follow The Rabbit.zi

Dropbox - Follow The Rabbit.zip

I'm hoping I haven't gone all Coltrane and put theoretical ideas before melody but I have been listening to a lot more 'real jazz' recently. I have found that if I listen to the song on something that lacks bottom end, so that the lower piano notes and bass parts don't stand out as much as they should, that it can sound more ... challenging. ;)

what's 'real jazz,'? I'm intrigued

GCinCT

Subscriber
You know, Dave, as I listen to "Follow the Rabbit" I not only really like the harmony, but you've got some really interesting rhythms in there. I love those too.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
That's so cool. :)

All joking aside, perhaps listening to players who explored melodic areas that most people outside of the jazz world would consider to be, well, to use my dad's terminology 'a bloody racket!' has modified my idea of melody. It would explain the marmite response to this song.

If that is the case then I'll have to be careful because I don't want to end up with a painfully skewed idea as to what is melodic.

GCinCT

Subscriber
That's so cool. :)

All joking aside, perhaps listening to players who explored melodic areas that most people outside of the jazz world would consider to be, well, to use my dad's terminology 'a bloody racket!' has modified my idea of melody. It would explain the marmite response to this song.

If that is the case then I'll have to be careful because I don't want to end up with a painfully skewed idea as to what is melodic.
To paraphrase an often used quote, melody is in the ears of the beholder. Every jazz innovator faced criticism. “This is not music.” Or, “this is not jazz”. It takes time to get accustomed. I like this tune. Keep experimenting, Dave.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
I doubt it - no one that isn't already either legendary like Coltrane or bordering on it like Rahsaan.
I listen to load of different music but I always go back to a handful of my favourites, Ben Webster, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Roland Kirk (he's a legend to me) and Archie Shepp.

GCinCT

Subscriber
I love listening to all of those players too. Also, Cannonball Adderley and Phil Woods. On piano, definitely Monk, but I'm also a big Oscar Peterson fan.

Top Bottom