support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Folk Lore or Fact? Selmer Stencil...

DavidUK

Café Supporter
o_O

Bumped into a chap in Brum last week, Steve. His cousin is married to David White, once sax player for David Essex. David White's brother is Michael White.

Steve once visited Michael White's shop and discovered that the saxophones he sold under his own name with "Michael White" or perhaps "MW" engraved on the bell were stencilled by Selmer for him.

What "discovered" means - told; compared; saw invoices; etc... who knows?

I can't find any similar conjecture of a collaboration between these two companies. Does anyone know of a reason Michael White may have been able to persuade Selmer to make horns for him?

And... no, I'm not going to rush to buy the one on eBay, or this one in NZ: http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...-instruments/saxophones/auction-878824119.htm

:confused:

That sounds like a tall story to me: why would selmer Paris (who have never stencilled any saxes for anyone) risk their reputation stencilling for MW?
Unless we are talking about Selmer USA or Selmer England... In which case it may be possible.
M.

Looks like bog standard chinese to me.
I've had a look at a few MWs and tried to guess which Selmer model they'd be based on. There are some similarities of course, but no perfect match with any Selmer.

If you had a shop in London, who would you go to for your own brand? Selmer would be charging waaaay too much for a stencil. And then you tell nobody it is actually a Selmer? No, it has to be a far eastern copy.

Selmer didn't make for others. No Selmer made stencils. Selmer started sax production after selling stencils from other makers. Later they bought saxes in from other European makers. Even later are the far east sourced saxes. Far east sourced saxes are so similar that it's difficult to tell them apart. No way of telling from a couple of photos if the same sax was sold under different names.

No way.
I've seen many MW horns, and own some excellent to-be-refaced MW mouthpieces.
Bill Wrathall was their resident repairer and he would have mentioned such a thing.
As would a few more friends.

Greay Chinese horns, but not more than that.

It could be worth interviewing Michael White, one day; he knows his stuff.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom