All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Folk Jazz Fusion??

Greg Barker

I have been listening to a load of folk music recently and it got me wondering how well it would work as a fusion with jazz. I managed to find a brecker track called Itsbynne Reel which was Ubercool! Has anyone come across anything like this before? :)

TomMapfumo

Neil Yates "New Origins" is an excellent CD of Celtic Folk/Jazz fusion - and worth investigating if you are interested. In Scandinavia Jan Garbarek and Nils Landgren (Swedish Folk Modern) are excellent exponents of Folk Jazz!

Big yes to Bellowhead, who I've seen twice already - lots of good stuff about.
Kind regards
Tom

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Tim Garland used to have a very folk influenced band called Lammas- lovely stuff. Plus- coming from the other direction- Davey Spillane used to specialize in Irish pipes over a sort of Celtic jazz/funk backing... a sort of jig 'n' reels Weather Report....

dooce

If you're in the South Wales/Gloucestershire area, look out for Be Bop dA Jig - I saw them play a couple of years ago and they fit the "folk/jazz" fusion description better than any band I can think of. At the time they had the splendidly named Caractacus Downes playing sax. Shame they are not better known.

http://www.bebopdajig.com/

Saxulele

I have been listening to a load of folk music recently and it got me wondering how well it would work as a fusion with jazz. I managed to find a brecker track called Itsbynne Reel which was Ubercool! Has anyone come across anything like this before? :)
Check out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, I think their music would definitely be considered Folk/Jazz Fusion.

Riversider

Check out Colin Steele on trumpet. His quintet has brought Scottish / Celtic rhythms into his jazz. The CDs 'The Journey Home' and 'Through the Waves' are closer to conventional jazz, while 'Stramash' has a larger group with fiddles, cellos, pipes and whistles for a altogether wilder jigs and reels trip.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Definitely seek out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Jeff Coffin plays some serious tenor, soprano and,I think, alto sax.
Check out Big Country on youtube.

FOLKSAX

Came across this post whilst vanity googling - you 'may' be interested in my stuff, not really jazz but folk plus harmonies counter-point etc

Alistair

FOLKSAX

Came across this post whilst vanity googling - you 'may' be interested in my stuff, not really jazz but folk plus harmonies counter-point etc

Alistair
Ha! meant to add, google 'folksax' and there are many links to download my cd's - some at a bargain price:)

Alistair

Mack

Try Iain Ballamy - All Men Amen has some very folky influences, and his work with Stian Carstensen like The Little Radio and The Pepper St Interludes is beautiful, intriguing folk/jazz for want of a better description.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I used to play in a ceilidh band - mostly on soprano. Initially I'd just been invited to come along and have a blow so I didn't know any of the tunes. So I improvised everything. They liked it so I stayed. Eventually I learned a lot of the tunes but I still improvised a lot.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I used to play in a ceilidh band - mostly on soprano. Initially I'd just been invited to come along and have a blow so I didn't know any of the tunes. So I improvised everything. They liked it so I stayed. Eventually I learned a lot of the tunes but I still improvised a lot.
Sops are great for folky/celtic stuff.... its possible to get a good fiddle sort of attack on them as well as the Jan Garbarek Irish pipes type of sound.... much fun to be had.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom