support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Flutes etc. Flute Revival Help Needed

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I’ve recently picked up one of my ‘jack of all trades’ gigs with a singer songwriter- which requires me to play a few number on my old Yamaha 221 flute. Now after a few years neglect I’m finding it very tricky to get my flute sound/embouchure back in shape. The whole things is a bit airy at the mo and low notes are pretty woolly sounding… could bluff a Roland Kirk grunt flute but this needs something much cleaner and purer in tone..

Any specific tips from doublers on getting flute embouchure back to any useable degree?

I'm not even close to an expert, but someone who is told me to spend time playing overtones (as far up as you can get) on the low notes. Works pretty well when I get round to it.

You might want to have the flute checked for leaks which can cause the symptoms you are describing in the tone. A crude way to check it yourself is to remove the headjoint and footjoint and close all the keys. Put a rubber stopper into the end and "suck" the air out to create a vacuum. Some techs use the expression "hang on your lip for xx seconds" to describe a flute that is air tight when doing this test.

Of course the best way is to have a skilled tech check the pads and regulation using a .001" thick feeler gauge and a very light touch. "Real" flute technicians sometimes deride saxophone techs who work on flutes as having "gorilla grip". I am guilty as charged which is why I specialize in saxophones. :)

I second the overtone practice suggested by @BigMartin. That is very much like brass players practicing "lip slurs". A wonderful exercise I learned years ago is a great way to get your flute "chops" and technique back quickly. It is based on tetrachords, 5 note scales that ascend chromatically. You fine tune your embouchure and airstream for that set of notes and then it goes up a half step each time. You could use this on sax as well to build technique, review scales, or work on breathing.

Attachments

• Flute warm up.pdf
    85.1 KB · Views: 181

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom