support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Flutes etc. Flute players of the site unite!

I was pushed into playing flute as a kid, mainly because there was one in the family, a beautiful old open-hole model that must be getting on for 200 years old now, which was played some random, distant Welsh ancestor. Impossible instrument - I never did get more than a handful of notes out of it. I persevered (with a modern Boehm system I hasten to add) till I left for college and parental pressure was less effective from 80 miles away - having said that I did get up to the standard to play in several county and regional orchestras by then.

After a break of 20-odd years, I picked up the sax and have never looked back - but now I am starting to get nostalgic about the little weedy thing. I've got a half-wooden Hammerschidt Klingson from my earlier days but bought a ridiculously cheap Pearl beginner model to try and freshen my chops up. Not going well so far - I certainly wouldn't dream of subjecting audiences to my flimsy wheezing...... It would be nice to get up to a level where I could do a couple of numbers in the band's set though - and I guess a teensy little flute wouldn't add that much to the tenor, bari and soprano I take along to gigs now......:)

I started with the clarinet but gave it up when starting taking sax-lessons. after some years I sold my clarinet and got me a flute. I really love playing flute and as I am technically not that skilled on this insturment than on the sax, it is grat for that the music I compose with the flute and improvisations I play on it are more simple. Plus it'S great to have another sound in the bands I play with.

I bought a flute a couple of months ago, it was cheap and I fancied having ago at it.
I find it much harder to learn the embouchure and hand positions than on the sax.
I can get a few squeaks and squawks out of it and sometimes even get a recognizable musical note!

Can't get the hang of standing on one leg though. I may be a bit old for that.

Can't get the hang of standing on one leg though. I may be a bit old for that.
Jonesy will remember this song, (Lyn Dobson plays the flute), and might like it better.
He might have liked another video I found better as well but the mods wouldn't.

Last edited: