support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Floating on GAS attacks already - talk me down....

DavidUK

Café Supporter
:)

My other hobbies have resulted in me ending up with a top-of-the-range camera and target rifle, but it took over a year to gain enough knowledge and to sift through various other models until I knew what suited me best.

I realise the same applies here with GAS, with the added incentive of waiting until i can actually play any sax I try out in a shop without embarrassing myself. So I am trying to stick with my Jupiter 567, as also advised by my sax teacher.

It is interesting reading up on what saxes people like and dislike and then thinking ahead to what I might try out and buy when the time comes.

On the way I've vaguely thought about buying a minty YAS480 at £475 and only today found a YAS23 for £290 in perfect condition locally. That one has almost got me going as it seems to be a favoured starter sax.

I tended to buy cameras and rifles if I spotted them at below market value to see if they were better or worse than what I already had, and then sell on the 'loser'. Not so sure that's a good idea with saxes though? Would there be any benefit to buying the YAS23 to try or will I just get confused? It's not a lot of money.

You'll all tell me to wait for 6+ months until I can tell which is the right sax for me I know. I'll do my best.... promise!

:rolleyes:

Why not starting your GAS with something easier, like mouthpieces?

Just let us know when you find the best mouthpiece ever.

I've had my alto, tenor and mouthpieces for over two years now. Their tone and intonation have improved enormously during that time. The bari, sop and 'nino are younger but they're getting much better too.

Hi DavidUK, about a year after I first started playing I did exactly as you describe, at one time I owned 8 or 9 saxes. Mostly cheap ones between £100 and £400 but I did have a Yam 62 and 2 Trevor James Signature models on separate occasions. What I discovered is that as a beginner and using the same mouthpiece for all, I noticed very little difference between the lot of them. I ended up sticking with a model that was known to be a good beginner/intermediate model, that I liked the look of and that allowed me to easily get to all the keys with relative ease i.e. b-.

So my suggestion is to get a sax of known reputation that doesn't look like its been abused and as mentioned above, if you feel the need to change your sound, spend your money on trying out different mouthpieces. I was lucky enough to build up quite a collection of fairly decent ones during my GAS period and I found this allowed me to change my sound and blow the low and high notes much more than changing the sax. You may want to avoid anything larger than a 6 opening as playing can become quite a work out with a 7 or above. I've been playing just over 3 years now and I feel a new GAS attack coming on as I think I now might appreciate the improved key action of the more expensive Saxophones but I definitely haven't needed this until now.

Hope this helps.

Hi DavidUK, about a year after I first started playing I did exactly as you describe, at one time I owned 8 or 9 saxes. Mostly cheap ones between £100 and £400 but I did have a Yam 62 and 2 Trevor James Signature models on separate occasions. What I discovered is that as a beginner and using the same mouthpiece for all, I noticed very little difference between the lot of them. I ended up sticking with a model that was known to be a good beginner/intermediate model, that I liked the look of and that allowed me to easily get to all the keys with relative ease i.e. b-.

So my suggestion is to get a sax of known reputation that doesn't look like its been abused and as mentioned above, if you feel the need to change your sound, spend your money on trying out different mouthpieces. I was lucky enough to build up quite a collection of fairly decent ones during my GAS period and I found this allowed me to change my sound and blow the low and high notes much more than changing the sax. You may want to avoid anything larger than a 6 opening as playing can become quite a work out with a 7 or above. I've been playing just over 3 years now and I feel a new GAS attack coming on as I think I now might appreciate the improved key action of the more expensive Saxophones but I definitely haven't needed this until now.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I totally agree with what you are saying. I've been in the same position with cameras and rifles. Now I have two cameras (one all singing, one pocket fitting), and I'm trying presently to get my collection of rifles down to two also. By careful (and knowledgeable) buying I've not lost any money with these other hobbies and handling so many models allowed me to find what is perfect for me.

Being drawn to researching saxes on the 'net it's second nature to see what used models go for, and of course my 'nose' for a bargain has been twitching. The Yamaha YAS23 is still calling to me at £290 but I'm guessing you'd say stick with the Jupiter as it has more up to date keywork. I'd likely not be able to tell the difference between them sound wise, as has been said, with my lack of experience. What was the model you ended up sticking with, out of interest?

a couple of years ago I tried a student Jupiter alto and a Yamaha YAS 275 side by side in a local music shop, using my Jody Jazz HR6 mouthpiece and I couldn't tell any difference between them, apart from the price - they both played and sounded the same and they were both good instruments. So don't assume that just because your Jupiter is cheap, that it's inferior - one of my friends played Jupiter saxes on tour with a major rock band for 5 years and got complimented on his sound by recording engineers at Abbey Road.
A £6k Selmer won't make you a better musician anymore than owning a Hasselblad will make you a brilliant photographer. As long as your equipment is working properly, the rest is up to the talents of the user - focus on honing your talent - I've heard music students get a beautiful sound out of a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and a YAS275. The sound comes from the player.
If you really feel the need to spend money on instruments and mouthpieces then try as many as you can and get to know what it is that you're looking for - take a trip to Sax.co.uk or Howarths and have a go on some saxes and take your own instrument with you to compare

a couple of years ago I tried a student Jupiter alto and a Yamaha YAS 275 side by side in a local music shop, using my Jody Jazz HR6 mouthpiece and I couldn't tell any difference between them, apart from the price - they both played and sounded the same and they were both good instruments. So don't assume that just because your Jupiter is cheap, that it's inferior - one of my friends played Jupiter saxes on tour with a major rock band for 5 years and got complimented on his sound by recording engineers at Abbey Road.
A £6k Selmer won't make you a better musician anymore than owning a Hasselblad will make you a brilliant photographer. As long as your equipment is working properly, the rest is up to the talents of the user - focus on honing your talent - I've heard music students get a beautiful sound out of a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and a YAS275. The sound comes from the player.
If you really feel the need to spend money on instruments and mouthpieces then try as many as you can and get to know what it is that you're looking for - take a trip to Sax.co.uk or Howarths and have a go on some saxes and take your own instrument with you to compare

Can't disagree with anything that's been said.

Here's my current model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LESuqQVJM2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w36da4n3lY

Perhaps I should worry about trading it in when I can play it that well!

:rolleyes:

I reckon iv'e wasted 6 months playing time by trying different mouthpieces and reed combo's, but on the otherhand i did keep playing the original mouthpiece that came with my sax for about 12-15 months and my teacher said i was producing a good sound with it (so even with bog standard mpc a good sound can be produced). Then i started to experiment with different mouthpieces/reeds and that's were i feel i lost playing time, i've found 2 mouthpieces that i like and tend to stick with the same reed, i feel better that i can now concentrate on my overall sound.
I'd stick with what you have :D

You could always read this http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yamaha_YAS21.htm I know not a 23. But it gives you an idea..While there is probably nothing wrong with the horn you have why not go buy another one. David you are not some youngster that doesn't really care about playing that will give up in 8 months time..btw I've been playing for just about 2yrs and the horns in my sig was the 4th and 6th of 6 horns i've owned in that time.. Did I need to no not really but it was fun..

Chris...

You could always read this http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yamaha_YAS21.htm I know not a 23. But it gives you an idea..While there is probably nothing wrong with the horn you have why not go buy another one. David you are not some youngster that doesn't really care about playing that will give up in 8 months time..btw I've been playing for just about 2yrs and the horns in my sig was the 4th and 6th of 6 horns i've owned in that time.. Did I need to no not really but it was fun.. Chris...

Hi Chris,
Did you wait a while before you bought the 2nd sax though?
I started target shooting with a £200 rifle and kept it for 2 years before I stumbled across a £2000 one for £500 2nd hand. At that price i couldn't turn it down. Still have that one today and it does have features which would have benefited me right at the beginning, like a much better trigger and better consistency shot to shot.
I'm sure the same is true of saxes, but to what extent I've no idea yet.
By the way, I spotted a silver plated A901S for £1250 and was tempted! Others crossing my radar have been Buffet Crampon 400 series, P.Mauriat, Antigua (two dealers have told me some Antigua saxes are IDENTICAL to P.Mauriat - not sure which models?).

My advice would be to buy the most expensive saxophone you can afford. That way you'll be skint and the gas will pass.

Joking apart.

Second hand instruments may or may not play. Regardless of quality, make or high price tag.

There are two kinds of saxophone owners the ones that play and the ones that enjoy owning. At present you sound like a technophile.

The saxophone isn't a rifle or a camera. Neither is it a swiss watch. Musicality comes from within. I play the cheapest of cheapies from the gear4music store and they play fine.

It will take application and time to become proficient. You can't buy skill or talent.

Perhaps your time would be better spent researching the players, past and present you would like to emulate.

The saxophone isn't a rifle or a camera.

It will take application and time to become proficient. You can't buy skill or talent.

I regard the sax as a piece of art, and one that can be used to make music.

The same with cameras and rifles, both "boys' toys" which can be functional.

You can definitely enhance skill or talent with the right equipment from the start, and you can equally stifle skill or talent with the wrong equipment. Whereas I have skill and talent in my other hobbies (3rd in my shooting class at World Championships 2010; prize-winning photographer), I can, by my past experience, see merit in owning equipment which far outreaches my ability so that I will always be growing into it, not reaching a point where it's holding me back.

By the way, if I were to buy the most expensive sax I could afford, I wouldn't be skint. I do like value for money though.

Back
Top Bottom