support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

First wedding gig

Woo hoo, Im just about to set off to do my first wedding service gig on the sax, cant wait hee hee :)

Flipp

Great news!

A small word of caution. My teacher is Karen Sharp - as in 'well known Jazz musican! She was asked to do a wedding, not that she does many. Anyway, the upshot was 'the bride' was expecting Abba music and other such covers. >:)

So be warned.........

Great news!

A small word of caution. My teacher is Karen Sharp - as in 'well known Jazz musican! She was asked to do a wedding, not that she does many. Anyway, the upshot was 'the bride' was expecting Abba music and other such covers. >:)

So be warned.........

Maybe Ulf Andersson (http://www.saxulf.com/), a heck of a saxplayer and ABBA's saxplayer, can do a clinic for Sharp and other pros!

Thomas

All the ceremony tracks were chosen by the Bride and groom ( the groom also being my cousin and a great guitarist).

For the brides entrance I played a track called missing you, with a kind of Jan Garbareck improve over the top, then for the signing of the reg. I played an ambient version of Autumn leaves, then for the grand exit down the Isle I played minor swing( which I dropped down to concert G to make it easier to play on Alto).All three tunes worked a treat, easpecially Minor swing, which saw the bride and groom and others dancing down the Isle, which is exactly what they wanted.

Then in the evening I did an half hour slot, which consisted of

1. Always and forever (On guitar)
2.I only have eyes for you (Alto sax)
3.Me and Mrs Jones (Alto sax)
4.My heart will go on (Low D whistle)
5.When we dance (Alto sax)
6.Have I told you lately (Guitar)

I also did all the backing tracks for the songs, working mainly with midi tracks , which I imported into Sonar 7 and bounced to various Vst intsuments.

It was a great day, and hopefully Ive created a few extra good memories for the B & G, they were very very happy with what I did.

Flipp.

Great job you've done there, alot of thought & effort obviously went into making it special for them... thanks for sharing!

Bet you can't wait for the next one eh?!

Cheers forthe good words, they are really appreciated c9off :). You are right in saying I cant wait for the next one , Ive gained so much from doing this one. Ive only been playing the sax for around 20 months now, and Ive really taken to it,its a real part of me now.

Ill try and get some sound clips online if anyone wants to have a listen , there are some mobile phone video clips too,only problem is the footage is inverted by 90 degrees as the phone was held the wrong way :sax:

Flipp

Hey Flipp,

Nifty fingers! very fluid runs, I'd like to think there might be a musical background prior to your sax adventure.. (if not best I put mine to rest..)

I flipped (sorry!) it round with the progamme mentioned, took a few minutes, just make sure you uncheck the 3 Ask boxes... saves as .avi but it seems equal quality...

thanks for posting!

Hey Flipp,

Nifty fingers! very fluid runs, I'd like to think there might be a musical background prior to your sax adventure.. (if not best I put mine to rest..)

I flipped (sorry!) it round with the progamme mentioned, took a few minutes, just make sure you uncheck the 3 Ask boxes... saves as .avi but it seems equal quality...

thanks for posting!

Cheers for the good comments c9off, Ive played lead guitar for years and some keyboard work too, started on the Penny whistle about 3.5 years ago and worked up to sax, next stop is a Tenor when I can afford one , too many demands on the finances at the moment though. I tried the program to spin the footage, but it just kept crashing on me, Ill give it another shot on my music PC instead.

Peace

Flipp

Great news!

So be warned.........

So whats wrong with Abba?

I know no one's supposed to admit to liking them, but secretly everyone does!

I saw a great film the other week called 'Mama Mia!'. It's a modern musical comedy and the entire sound track is of the actors singing covers of Abba songs. I really enjoyed it...laughing all the way through...I even watched it twice. If you don't mind getting caught enjoying Abba, check it out.

Martin

Well played, Flipp. That must have been a tough gig. I feel its far harder to play in front of friends but with the pressure of playing such an important gig, man you took it in your stride. Well done indeed. (Was it hard playing laying down like that? :))))

Well played, Flipp. That must have been a tough gig. I feel its far harder to play in front of friends but with the pressure of playing such an important gig, man you took it in your stride. Well done indeed. (Was it hard playing laying down like that? :))))

Cheers Taz, it was a great occasion all round, and one i really enjoyed, plus I learned a great deal from it too. Here is another clip, this time from the actual ceremony with the Bride enetering the room. This was an existing track which the B & G wanted a sax part over the top, so I tried to emulate the style of Jan garbarek, I think I got somewhere near lol.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2441231/Missing You.mp4

Flipp

ps Its easier to play laying down, especially after a Few Jack D`s !

Last edited by a moderator: